Reasons NOT to use Enriched Air?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Lively thread, so far.

Lots of novices posting their own recently memorized advice. Some of them even know tech-deco as well.

I scanned thru most of the posts, and these are the reasons that I get so far, to answer the O/P's question, of when NOT to use nitrox instead of air:

1) if you are diving shallower than 50 ft at sea level;

2) if you are diving deeper than 150 ft;

3) if you cannot control your buoyancy and there is a danger of you inadvertently going deeper than MOD 130 ft for EAN 32 or deeper than 95 ft for EAN 36;

4) if you become tech-deco certified and start doing long deco dives that push the ppO2 exposure limits;

5) if $10 per tank for nitrox is more expensive for you than the risk of DCS treatment due to diving free air instead;

6) if you also use your scuba tanks to fill up your bicycle tires or your paintball gun.

Normally what is agreed upon is the MOD and the bottom time. This means you then all head back to the anchor line together. From that point on, if some divers take longer to decompress for safety reasons, I do not see the need to do everything exactly the same, once you are back at the anchor line.

And yes, Blackwood, if you cannot agree, then we would normally not want you in our group.

I can't agree with the bolded, so I guess we won't be diving together.

I'm wholeheartedly opposed to separating during deco.

I can't agree with the bolded, so I guess we won't be diving together.

I'm wholeheartedly opposed to separating during deco.

The boat captain normally sets the guidelines, not just another joe-diver in the group. And as a businessman the captain must be sensitive to the will of the techdivers who have chartered the boat.

Until you own a really nice boat, with a wet bar, and bunnies serving drinks, nobody is going to worry much about your personal rules. And even if you did and the bunnies were really cute, a captain who is too fascist outweighs even that!

I do not know if you are a GUE-ie but you are starting to sound like one, with all these senseless rules. We normally do not allow GUE-ies along with us, due to their type-A personalities, which are an unnecessary risk underwater. GUE-ies normally dive together by themselves on boats they have chartered by themselves.

Getting along with other techdivers is a skill that involves minding your own business as much as possible.

See also, my table, above, on when not to use nitrox.

The boat captain normally sets the guidelines, not just another joe-diver in the group. And as a businessman the captain must be sensitive to the will of the tech divers who have chartered the boat. We normally do not allow GUE-ies along with us, due to their type-A personalities, which are an unnecessary risk underwater.

Until you own a really nice boat, with a wet bar, and bunnies serving drinks, nobody is going to worry much about your personal rules. And even if the bunnies are really cute, a captain who is too fascist outweighs even that!
:rofl3::rofl3:

I do not know if you are a GUE-ie but you are starting to sound like one, with all these senseless rules. We normally do not allow GUE-ies along with us, due to their type-A personalities, which are an unnecessary risk underwater.

Crikey!! What a beautiful specimen!

What I told you is that if you are a "complainer" then we definitely do not want you on our boat.:eyebrow:

I posted some reasonable questions in hopes of some reasonable answers. Do you have any for my questions? You may not be able to find all the answers in Google or Wikkipedia but maybe....

Don't worry about me asking to go on your boat, I am diving with Blackwood that day. :D

You should not be working during a scuba dive. That is for commercial divers to do. You should be resting, drifting, and enjoying.

If you are working, then you should be wearing a hard-hat and be commercially certified.

This is because a whole bunch of really bad things can happen, physiologically and biochemically, which you don't even know about, if you are exerting yourself at depth. And then, an FFM would be your minimal safety need, with a hard-hat being preferred.

Always stay within your recreational limits.

Can you please provide the rest of us with a description of the physiological and biochemical bad things that can happen. I am particularly interested in the ones which we don't even know about.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Back
Top Bottom