Reasonably priced weeklong trip for a single

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

vondo

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
500 - 999
Hi, I'm looking to get away for a week or a bit longer in March. My default plan is a week cruise out of the Bahamas with Blackbeard's. I did this 1.5 years ago and had a great time. Total cost for this (which is unfortunately pretty important) will be about $1400 including airfare from Chicago.

But is there something similar in the Caribbean that will be competitive in price and still get me about 4 dives/day? I'll be travelling by myself, so I don't think Bonaire is an option because of the shore diving. But what about a week in Cozumel with 4 dives a day or maybe one of the Virgin Island groups? Total cost with airfare, lodging, diving, tips, and car if needed shouldn't exceed $1500 for 5-6 days of diving.

Thanks,

Eric

Hi, I'm looking to get away for a week or a bit longer in March. My default plan is a week cruise out of the Bahamas with Blackbeard's. I did this 1.5 years ago and had a great time. Total cost for this (which is unfortunately pretty important) will be about $1400 including airfare from Chicago.

But is there something similar in the Caribbean that will be competitive in price and still get me about 4 dives/day? I'll be travelling by myself, so I don't think Bonaire is an option because of the shore diving. But what about a week in Cozumel with 4 dives a day or maybe one of the Virgin Island groups? Total cost with airfare, lodging, diving, tips, and car if needed shouldn't exceed $1500 for 5-6 days of diving.

Thanks,

Eric

Getting in 4 dives per day is tough in most land-based operatons. For a price like $1500 including airfare - go with your plan for Blackbeards. The only other options I see for you are #2 Ft. Lauderdale with DefaultHomePage as they have boats going out am and pm. #3 would be another liveaboard Explorer Ventures: Adventures in Live-Aboard Diving and see if you can do the Bahamas trip. It might be a few $ more than Blackbeards but nicer overall. Both Explorer and Blackbeards got out from Exuma Bahamas so your airfare would be same.

Traveling single, a liveaboard works out pretty reasonable in price.
Most land-based are going to stick you with a single supplement for your room.

Thanks, you actually mentioned a couple of things I wanted to/should have. With 20 dives in a week FLL or the Keys is a possiblity financially (about the same $$$) but there would be lots of repeats of sites and I've spent quite a bit of time there already, so I kind of ruled them out.

I'd be very interested in other "budget" liveaboards in the Caribbean.

Thanks

Actually Bonaire will probably be a viable option. It is relatively easy to hook up with other divers to shore dive with. It is doable with airfare within your budget. There are quite a few "budget" hotels on the island. Most if not all dive operators have "buddy" lists for people looking for buddies. From our experience, we can tell you that we get quite a few single divers who hook up with other guests who they meet at breakfast and spend their time together diving together.

Liz

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom