Reason for diving with two reg's?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Matt,

Modern gear isn't anymore complex than what it was 40 years ago, save for dive computers..there is just more of it, increasing the work load of the diver........taking away his/her time enjoying their surroundings.

I agree in some ways, especially the sentiment that recreational divers these days are more gear-oriented and gear-dependent than in decades past. I do think that modern regulators are more complex than the old ones, just not better. Just look at the parts count for a MK25/S600 and compare that to a MK5/109. I realize that your perspective might be with the RAM nozzle that still exists as the titan, with no increase in complexity. I think that's an unusual example, though.

Of course there was the pilot, but that was 77-78, so not that old, and certainly an unusual regulator for it's time.

I suspect that what you're really referring to in this thread is the general commercialization of recreational diving, with all the associated stuff.

I suspect that what you're really referring to in this thread is the general commercialization of recreational diving, with all the associated stuff.

Exactly, plus the extinction of some pieces of gear..........ie: the small twin tank sets...single post manifolds......true they weigh a bit more than a single steel 100, but infinitly better balanced, ease of carry on your back...better for folks of shorter stature....and just cool!...........

For shallow water dives (90 max) I prefer those to a long fat tank with the approx. same vol........thats why I have two..........should have bought another two years ago when I had the chance............but I was thinking to invest in some new gear. Should have scouted the market first then..........

I heard that USD is still making the solid bar single yoke manifold, selling through their commercial catalog. If that is true, it isn't extinct yet.

I heard that USD is still making the solid bar single yoke manifold, selling through their commercial catalog. If that is true, it isn't extinct yet.

But it is costly, I heard about $700 but mostly the military buys it so there may be some extra markup, wink, wink,

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom