Really disappointed with HOG 32 wing

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Maybe someone can tell me where to find the coarse thread parts though so I may yet get some use out of this one.

Pinch flats happen. It's frustrating, but it happens sometimes.

As for the coarse threads. Check Golem Gear.
Their wing are similar to a European wing brand call Absolute Tech Systems (ATS).
I owned one, and needed a replacement for the OPV; Golem gear wings looked the same as my ATS wing. As it turned out, they were the same wing.

The Golem gear OPV was a perfect fit.

Perhaps contacting HOG/Edge might get a new OPV with the coarse threads.

Bought a lightly used 32# wing here on Scubaboard for a friend of mine. Tried it out and it had a pinch flat. I decided to fix the pinch rather than buy a new bladder. Bought some 3m Marine 5200, worked great sealing the pinch flat.

Tried it again, this time, the wing leaked all around the top seal, many tiny bubbles. Now this wing did not have a lot of dives on it so that really seemed weird and worrisome.

Wait what???

You buy a wing from someone here on SB and it has a pinch flat. You end up being pissed at the manufacturer? Really? Did you ever think about going back to the seller?

I bought the same wing from someone here on SB a couple of years ago. It works great. No issues at all.

I have since gone to a Halcyon eclipse for its thinner profile, but I have a whole back-up BP/W that I know works fantastic. My plan is to move my son into it from the Oceanic Excursion he now dives.

I do agree though that when a replacement bladder was provided that has different threads, that should have been mentioned. But all in all, it seems your beef was with the seller and not the manufacturer.

Oh, we have 25 of these wings in our school program that get used on average of 3 hours/day 4 days/week all year in a highly chlorinated university pool. They were purchased in 2011. They are still working fine. These were the same batch that yours was likely from. They are holding up much better than the Halcyon Eclipses that they replaced....

I am still interested in where the second leak came from. Was it the seam at the top or was it around the inflator connection?

Is the top of the bladder actually leaking? Are you seeing air bubbles exiting the top of the outer casing when you are first submerged? If so this is normal and may not be a problem at all. Did you test the bladder out of the outer shell? Just wondering. Any issues I have had with HOG gear I have called them directly and they were more than helpful in rectifying the problem, they even went out of there way to make sure I had my gear back for an upcoming vacation I was leaving for in a few days.

Would you please put pic of your wing?

Sent from my ASUS_T00G using Tapatalk

No - I am disapointed because the bladder should not have leaked at the seams in the first place. And then to have to replace the valve and elbow because the bladder was defective is just ridiculous.
You replaced the valve and elbow because you used a different bladder instead of approaching the OEM and attempting to resolve the issue.

I have seen 20 YO BC's with original bladders that never leak. It just does not leave me with much confidence in the material and manufacturing of the bladder.

How many time's have we heard this anecdotal evidence... my buddy from Utah had a sister whos boyfriend had a BC that predated Jaque Cousteau and it worked like a champ.

Jim - It looks brand new and 0was represented as having fewer than 50 dives. I believe it because there is no visible wear on the the straps, plate or wing, no fading or other signs of use.

Looks brand new doesn't mean it is. The guy was selling it for a reason and it was likely cause he punched a hole in it and didn't want to be bothered to patch it. First thing you do when buying a used bladder is inflate it and then lay a tank on top to make sure it holds air.

I, of course, knew I was going to get some flack for the post, but I do think it is important for people to have information and other opinions so they can buy the right gear.

You're getting flack because you're attempting to hide the fact you didn't do your homework by blaming it on the OEM. Honestly take your lumps from a poor decision (not testing gear thoroughly before purchasing), and stop regurgitating the nonsense your LDS is feeding you about the quality of OEM's they don't carry.

I wonder how old is this lightly used wing. I think HOG did a recall on older model of 32lb wings way back, probably 5-6 years ago, about the same time I started diving. Maybe you had one of those wings.

I own four HOG regulators, a sidemount BC, a lightly used BP/W (32#), a mask, fins, Predator dry suit, SMB, and a couple other incidentals. As long as Edge/HOG stays in business, I can't see going back. HOG was proactive when the first run of sidemount BC's showed a potential manufacturing flaw; they just replaced the bladder before it could become a problem. The regs are fantastic. The dry suit is great. The OP had a simple problem. My experience says it would have been handled quickly and with great care had he contacted the company directly. Edge/HOG is a solid company. One unfortunate experience does not diminish this fact.

Had a student in the pool this week doing a Refresher. He used his DiveRite XT and HOG D1.

The 2 yr old DR bladder was leaking at the RF seam and the unit had been lightly used since purchased.

Two years, leaking seam and the guy did not start freaking about poor quality.... and he bought it new.

Yes we called DR and they said send it in.... we'll see.

Sure if he, the OP had called Jack there could have been a resolution.

Back
Top Bottom