Reality vs expectations

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

dirkhh

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
500 - 999
I'm about to buy the uemis Zurich - so please don't read this as a slam against this (hopefully) fine computer...

But coming here and reading through the last 9 months or so of posts I'm somewhat torn.
On the one hand I see a cool company, very responsive to user requests with a very active rep trying to keep customers happy.
On the other hand I see a growing list of reasonable requests and great feature suggestions that seem to mostly be promised to be delivered "at some point", "with the trimix update" or "after the trimix update" - but reality doesn't quite appear to have kept up with expectations...

Things like:
- average depth displayed on the SDA
- countdown timer in seconds (for stops) or stopwatch (count up timer)
- export in some form of reasonably well documented XML that dive log authors could support
- ability to customize colors (e.g., make orange / red more distinct)
- oh yeah, and that trimix support

Is there an official update on progress towards those features? Expected release dates?

We are waiting on that. Here is the other side of the coin, the features that are implemented are rock solid. The transmitter works, the screen is.. beautiful and VERY easy to read. I had endless comments from DMs about it in dark and dirty conditions. Even through the muck they could see my wrist and know I was ok down to the digits, as could my buddies and other people moving around. Try looking at a regular computer on someone's wrist (other than yours) from 5 ft away...

I am nervous about the lack of communication on the next revision, but they have decided to keep everything close to their chest at this point. The commitment to release a trimix revision is still there and a bunch of other upgrades should be included like a dive planner. That being said, they are a few months late and it speaks to corporate issues. They need to say something.

If you are planning on doing trimix in the next couple months.. might want to wait until more info is available. If you are like most of us and actually a rec diver who wants the general utility provided by the unit as it is today, order away.

If you are planning on doing trimix in the next couple months.. might want to wait until more info is available. If you are like most of us and actually a rec diver who wants the general utility provided by the unit as it is today, order away.

I'm a rec diver expecting to grow into tec diving once I have a bit more experience. I just ordered one from Dive Right in Scuba, expecting to receive the unit in a couple of days and to take it with me on a dive trip to Japan next week.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom