Real difference between Apeks ATX40 and AT20 Octos?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

mstevens

Toadfish. Splendid is implied but not guaranteed.
ScubaBoard Supporter
Reaction score
I've got a dealer who absolutely insists there is no practical difference between the AT20 octo and the ATX40 one. My biggest concern is that Apeks describes the AT20 as being suitable for warm water while extolling the ATX40 for cold. I live in New Hampshire, so cold-water performance is important to me. This dealer says he's broken down both many times and says the AT20 simply comes detuned and that the ATX40 has an additional nut. Obviously, they sell a ton of AT20 octos and practically no ATX40's. Can anyone comment on this?

mstevens:
I've got a dealer who absolutely insists there is no practical difference between the AT20 octo and the ATX40 one. My biggest concern is that Apeks describes the AT20 as being suitable for warm water while extolling the ATX40 for cold. I live in New Hampshire, so cold-water performance is important to me. This dealer says he's broken down both many times and says the AT20 simply comes detuned and that the ATX40 has an additional nut. Obviously, they sell a ton of AT20 octos and practically no ATX40's. Can anyone comment on this?

The dealer is correct. The ATX40 uses a heat sink type fitting to transfer the heat in the surrounding water to the valve mechanism. This normally only increases the cost by a relatively small amount. I would go for the 40 for the conditions that you dive in.

Greg Barlow

Yeah go 40. Although in the dealers defence, the theory is that if you are not using the thing it will not freeflow and if you are using it, it will be for a relatively short time when you are ending your dive. That said, I still prefer my 40. Worst comes to worst and you have a 20 just buy the part. It does believe it or not make a huge difference in the temps of the low 40s or high 30s.

mstevens:

When I ordered my 2 set of regs/octos I insisted on price quotes for the AT20 and the ATX40. When they called me back it was to say "Hmmm. They're pretty much the same price" and to let me know there would be no difference in price but would be a couple extra days for the ATX40. So now I'm waiting semi-patiently.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom