Ready to go dry - Bare vs DUI

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

lisa_j

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
200 - 499
Hello fellow divers!
Jeff and I are ready to purchase a couple of new dry suits. We're considering the Bare Nex Gen and the DUI TSL SE. We've read a lot of good reviews on the Bare suit but are concerned that it might not be durable enough. We've also read that the DUI trilam suit is much more rugged and durable, and we're wondering if it's worth the extra money.
We are just taking the dry suit course next month, and we're not planning on doing any technical diving with it, but we want it to hold up to normal use.
Any comments are greatly appreciated!
-Lisa

DUI hands down. You might consider going to one of their Demo Days next season.

Try them both on and buy the one that fits best.

The suits will really be roughly equal in the durability department.

I would first of all forget about names.. you need to get the one that fits you the best.... BUT if you must compare two - I personally have the BARE NEXT-GEN and find it to be VERY durable. However if I had the chance i would get a DUI with a telescoping torso

lisa_j:
Hello fellow divers!
Jeff and I are ready to purchase a couple of new dry suits. We're considering the Bare Nex Gen and the DUI TSL SE. We've read a lot of good reviews on the Bare suit but are concerned that it might not be durable enough. We've also read that the DUI trilam suit is much more rugged and durable, and we're wondering if it's worth the extra money.
We are just taking the dry suit course next month, and we're not planning on doing any technical diving with it, but we want it to hold up to normal use.
Any comments are greatly appreciated!
-Lisa

Interesting. I'm having the same issue. For one reason or another, I see a lot of the Bare suits up here in our neck of the woods. With the kind of temps and terrain we have, I would think more folks would be using crushed neoprene.

If it's not too far of a ride from the Cape, you might want to check out United Divers in Somerville (right off 93, probably not more than an hour). They have the Atlan suits and they're VERY price competitive when you compare it with DUI and others (for crushed neoprene). Seems like a really well made suit and I think it was $999 and it's basically custom when all is said and done. FWIW, I've been very happy with my Atlan wet suit and United does superb work when it comes to repairs and alterations.

Gotta admit though, tri lam looks WAY more comfortable. If you are going to go the Nex Gen route, I'd probably save the money and get it on-line. There are some great deals to be had if you can wear it off the rack.

I have dove both suits...I sell both suits....Fit is key...do you know what size you are? If you have an unusual shape you will need a custom. If you have tried them both on ,make sure you can get down in a runners stance with out getting a wedgie. You know what a wedgie is right? yikes...I can help fit you if you need advice. I sell way more dui but have nothing bad to say about the other suits. The dui has a 7 year warranty, and you can get zip seals on it. I use the zip seals on all the stores rentals and there are great so far. We also sell the Tusa, Apollo, Dive Rite, Whites...DUI is what we sell the most of. That could be because DUI is local/american made etc or like me, people want options in the suit. I like all the different options you can get with DUI....hope this helps. good luck Hal

Hollywoodivers:
I have dove both suits...I sell both suits....Fit is key...do you know what size you are? If you have an unusual shape you will need a custom. If you have tried them both on ,make sure you can get down in a runners stance with out getting a wedgie. You know what a wedgie is right? yikes...I can help fit you if you need advice. I sell way more dui but have nothing bad to say about the other suits. The dui has a 7 year warranty, and you can get zip seals on it. I use the zip seals on all the stores rentals and there are great so far. We also sell the Tusa, Apollo, Dive Rite, Whites...DUI is what we sell the most of. That could be because DUI is local/american made etc or like me, people want options in the suit. I like all the different options you can get with DUI....hope this helps. good luck Hal

Hollywoodivers is right on the money. DUI makes a great suit but Ive dove a BARE and liked it as well. MOBEYS actually makes the best self-don, but I settled on an Oceanic Bioflex. Only issue I have with the new DUI is the inner Zip is up and the outer is down, Ive seen the inner come loose when zipping the outer shell zip. BRRRRRRRRR!
Zip Seals rock they are the best inovation to date!!!!!!!!

Hi

I think a better comparison from a price perspective would be the DUI and the BARE ATR HD. We sell BARE but I have seen both suits. I think the BARE is probaly more rugged, but maybe a little less flexible than the DUI. BARE does have a large range of size and starting in Nov they are going to be making the ATR HD in a womens cut. Both are great suits, but you can get a lot of features for very decent $$ with the BARE. If your in the Boston area, stop by we have samples of all of the BARE models in stock.

Paul

I would suggest the DUI TLS personally. The telescoping torso/self donning ability is key, the material fabulous (dries in about 5 minutes and is therefore not heavy unlike most neoprene suits after they've been dove), and the options you can add to the suit are great. I like my TLS350 and have not regretted my purchas ein the least and know it will evolve with me and my changing diving habits.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom