Ready to brave Monterey... I think ;)

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

vivian

New
Reaction score
Hey there,

I'm new to diving-trying to get certified before I hit Turks and Caicos in October. I am based in Mountain View, CA and trying to figure out reputable dive shops to get certified. Does anyone have a preference of SSI vs. PADI?

Also-any great places to stay/eat/dive/hang out that anyone reccomends for Turks and Caicos?

Thanks!
Vivian

welcome aboard

Posted via Mobile Device

Greetings and welcome to scuba board- I am new to this site/blog but I am originally from Santa Rosa, California and got my PADI open water cert in Monterey, California. I got certified by an private/group instructor (no shop affiliation)
I always dove with Monterey bay dive center but, I believe they were bought out and I don't remember the new name- they are right across the street from break water(shore dive)and the marina- Check them out as they get a lot of business and had great Dive masters. If you can get certified in Monterey with 56-58 degree water and 5-7ft vis- you will have No Prob diving in Turks and Caicos- Good Luck you can do it!!!- HAPPY AND SAFE DIVING- Amy :)
Posted via Mobile Device

Welcome to SB! Check in with the NorCal forum at http://www.scubaboard.com/forums/norcal/ for local shop/certification/dive site recommendations.

Off the top of my head, you've got quite a few choices in the Peninsula/south bay, including Wallins and Aquan, both in San Carlos, Any Water Sports in SJ, Diver Dan's and Blue Water Aquatics in Sunnyvale/Santa Clara, and more.

I'd visit some shops and talk to instructors, and find one who works best with your learning style. You'll find that some shops have huge classes with set schedules, others are much closer to 1-on-1, some have on-site pool access, etc. etc. The whole PADI v. SSI thing is a big can of worms, but if you get a good instructor from either agency, you'll be well on your way.

Best of luck!

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom