Ready for AI, couple of questions...

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Islandheart

Contributor
Scuba Instructor
Divemaster
Reaction score
# of dives
5000 - ∞
I completed my DM back in Dec and have my eye on starting my AI. I got my IDC 2010 version Crewpak and also got the 2010 Instuctor manual, small version.

I read the Thread about IA earlier from a search, and follow the method or the way to give a presentation, But...

Could some of you explain what I have to do to complete the AI course?

How many Presentations?
from what levels?
what kind? class, pool, open water? or something else?

How many Tests?
someone said openbook, is that true?

Oh, yea the tests (DM, AOW, OW) but no answers ?

What else do I need to expect?

I plan to do my IDC later in the year...........

Thanks Much !
Bob C.

I completed my DM back in Dec and have my eye on starting my AI. I got my IDC 2010 version Crewpak and also got the 2010 Instuctor manual, small version.

I read the Thread about IA earlier from a search, and follow the method or the way to give a presentation, But...

Could some of you explain what I have to do to complete the AI course?

How many Presentations?
from what levels?
what kind? class, pool, open water? or something else?

How many Tests?
someone said openbook, is that true?

Oh, yea the tests (DM, AOW, OW) but no answers ?

What else do I need to expect?

I plan to do my IDC later in the year...........

Thanks Much !
Bob C.

Congrats on deciding to take the IDC. However, my first question is why are you taking the AI then the OWSI? Why not do it all in one go? The AI is the 1st segment of an IDC; the OWSI is the other part.

To answer your questions, here is the curriculum & requisites for AI:

Assistant Instructor Course
1. Complete all independent learning sections online through PADI eLearning, or participate in the following sections during the AI Course:
a. Learning, Instruction and the PADI System
b. General Standards and Procedures
c. Risk Management
d. Marketing Diving
e. Start Diving
f. Teaching PADI Specialty Diver Courses
g. Business of Diving – optional for in-class participation though strongly recommended
h. Keep Diving – optional for in-class participation though strongly recommended
i. How to Teach the Recreational Dive Planner (RDP) – required for crossover candidates; optional for PADI Members
2. Participate in the following curriculum components:
a. Course Orientation
b. Developing Knowledge Development Presentations
• Knowledge Development Teaching Presentation 1 and 2
• 4 Es Counseling Workshop 1
c. Teaching in Confined Water
• Skills Demonstrations Workshop
• Confined Water Teaching Presentation 1 and 2
d. Conducting Open Water Dives
• Open Water Teaching Presentation 1
• Rescue Exercise Workshop
3. Present two knowledge development teaching presentations, scoring a minimum of 3.5 on at least one.
4. Present two confined water teaching presentations, scoring a minimum of 3.4 on at least one.
5. Present one integrated (two skills) open water teaching presentation, scoring a minimum of 3.4 on each skill.
6. Perform all 20 dive skills in the Skill Evaluation, scoring a minimum of 68 total points, with no individual score below 3.
7. Score 75 percent on the PADI Systems, Standards and Procedures Exam and have any missed questions reviewed until mastery is achieved. Retest candidates scoring less than 75 percent.
8. Complete the PADI Divemaster course – Diver Rescue assessment in open water.

The only "open book" exam is the one on Standards & Procedures.

I'm not sure what you mean by "Oh, yea the tests (DM, AOW, OW) but no answers ?". Can you elaborate?

Pax,

I understand totally what you are thinking. After 12 years as DM i tool the AI for something to do. I learned a lot. Then i got into the bug (it is addictive) and a few months later did the IDC and passed the IE. IF i had to do it over again i would do as SubMariner suggest above and do the OWSI in one go of it. Would have been a much better use of my time.

As for the tests, the AI test is very similar to the DM quizes. The IE test is a whole different game and i really had to read and study as some of the stuff was tough for me and i had to study being 30 years out of university and not used to studying like that.

Having done it all, i am a much more aware and safer diver. I may not teach much but it was a great experience that i would recommend to anyone in this diving hobby of ours.

imo, there's nothing wrong with taking AI, getting some experience at that level, then moving on to OWSI when ready. In fact, I think it's preferable.

Why are there OW, Rescue and DiveMaster test booklets with no answers in the packet ???

Why are there OW, Rescue and DiveMaster test booklets with no answers in the packet ???

They are on the pro site under member toolbox, exam answer keys and sheets.

Back
Top Bottom