Reading Lenses

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Interesting....guess I must have done something wrong...I hated them. Everytime I put my mask in the rinse bucket, one or both floated free and I have to 'fish' for them. I finally lost one after the fifth time. I did the rest of the weekend with one lense. I found if I put them at the bottom edge of the mask lense they were too low. I moved them higher on the lense, then they were in the way and always in my lower field of vision. I had to move my arm up so that the guage was in view of the little lense. I found it easier just to put my computer in guage mode....only 2 readings (depth, time) to use up the screen in larger numbers.
For future dives I will use a digital depth guage by Scubapro as a backup to my computer and leave the computer in normal mode.

Hope you have better luck than I. Mine were a waste of money and the one I had left I threw away.

Kaz

RocketMan:
I just followed the installations directions when applying them to my mask. They work great out of the water. The test will come under the water on the 22nd. I'll flood my mask clear it and see if they stay put. If not I'm out $35, but if they stay put I have save a little toward more gear.

That is where i got mine, 3yo and are still plaster to my lens. I have to be honest, it appeared like one was not holding verywell. Pulled them off and reinstalled them, never had a problem after that.

When putting them on you have to make sure the FLAT SIDE of the lens is against the mask lens. :D

Other then that, good luck and dive safely. :wink:

Joe

bperrybap:
My wife has that mask and while it does help her read her
computer she's not particularly fond of it. The reason being is
that you can see closeup with both eyes at the same time.
You have to tilt your head and use either you left or right eye.
I tried it and it is kind of frustrating. Very unatural.

--- bill

Thanks for the info ... one less thing to buy.

Has anyone tried taping a magnifying lens over the guage? The other alternative would be to carry a monocle around but I guess that would be toooo much trouble. Besides, you'd look like a proper British gent underwater :D

DiveGolfSki:
Thanks for the info ... one less thing to buy.

The other alternative would be to carry a monocle around but I guess that would be toooo much trouble.

Super Glue it to the mask, just under your left eye. :wink:

They can also be found at Wallgreen Drug stores for less than 20 bucks.

I have two masks I wear so I put one in each (you really only use one eye for closeup anyway). One did wash away but it could very well have been improper installation as it was the first one I did and the other one has stayed put.

DiveGolfSki:
..snip..
Has anyone tried taping a magnifying lens over the guage? The other alternative would be to carry a monocle around but I guess that would be toooo much trouble.
..snip..

The advantage of having the corrective lens inside your mask is that it is in contact with air.
If you just try taping a lens to the gauge it will be immersed in water. That means that a plastic lens will be no use and you will need a high power dense glass lens. Even then it will magnify much less than at the surface.
The alternative is to make up a triple sandwich as has been posted elsewhere on this board.

kaz1960:
Interesting....guess I must have done something wrong...I hated them. Everytime I put my mask in the rinse bucket, one or both floated free and I have to 'fish' for them.
..snip..
You put your mask in the rinse bucket?

Back
Top Bottom