Reading Lenses

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

artcumming76:
Where can these stick on lenses be purchased from? I have a staff member in Fiji who is looking for prescription lenses for his mask, this sounds like it may be a better option for him.

I just ordered a pair to try via mail order at
Optx2020.com

I have just contacted a company about presciption lenses for the purpose of being able to read my gauges and computer. It really is frustating to have to stop and spend a lot of time trying to figure out what these devices are really saying. If you guys, whooops, I mean people are right, and you usually are, I want to try this. the prescription lenses for a mask is pretty expensive.

Is this a DIY application or something else?

rdharbis1:
I have just contacted a company about presciption lenses for the purpose of being able to read my gauges and computer. It really is frustating to have to stop and spend a lot of time trying to figure out what these devices are really saying. If you guys, whooops, I mean people are right, and you usually are, I want to try this. the prescription lenses for a mask is pretty expensive.

Is this a DIY application or something else?

No, DIY is what I used to do shown below with a pair of cheap reading lenses siliconed into my mask (inside), but I recently broke my mask so I decided to try the professional stick-ons.

There are several "multi-window" masks that you can get at a "price" where the lower windows can be reading glasses. The Mares Esa Six Window Mask is one ($75 at LP) and, I think, Sherwood Magnum 6 Window Mask is another ($65 at LP). Of course, there is also the XS Scuba Fusion 2 gauge Reader Mask ($45 at LP).

HA! That's pretty funny.... (did they work?)
They did say on the Opx2020 web page that "no one would even know you are using their lenses". Not sure about that but I guess aesthetics does come into the bargaining table.

Thanks for the pic! :)

Randy

artcumming76:
Where can these stick on lenses be purchased from? I have a staff member in Fiji who is looking for prescription lenses for his mask, this sounds like it may be a better option for him.

I got them at

http://www.diversdiscount.com/resources/frameset-search.asp

Scuba.com also has them.

Including shipping they cost $35.90...a tad cheaper that prescription lenses for my mask or bi-focal contacts. I just followed the installations directions when applying them to my mask. They work great out of the water. The test will come under the water on the 22nd. I'll flood my mask clear it and see if they stay put. If not I'm out $35, but if they stay put I have save a little toward more gear.

I'm on my second set (aging eyes) from scuba.com. I only wear one of them, though, on the left side, where I keep my gauges. I couldn't dive without them and have never had any problem.

rdharbis1:
HA! That's pretty funny.... (did they work?)
They did say on the Opx2020 web page that "no one would even know you are using their lenses". Not sure about that but I guess aesthetics does come into the bargaining table.

Thanks for the pic! :)

Randy

They really worked fine and that particular mask lasted for about 170 autonomous dives over 3 years plus something like an extra 100 hours free diving.
The plastic lenses I used (cost about 4USD the pair) formed a couple of stress cracks after repeatedly going to the 40m mark (or thereabouts) but nothing that impeded gauge reading. The important thing with the DIY version was to really clean the inside of the mask glass well and to silicone them in an environment with low humidity - you don't want any condensation inside the sealed compartment you are forming.

RocketMan:
I got them at

http://www.diversdiscount.com/resources/frameset-search.asp

Scuba.com also has them.

Including shipping they cost $35.90...a tad cheaper that prescription lenses for my mask or bi-focal contacts. I just followed the installations directions when applying them to my mask. They work great out of the water. The test will come under the water on the 22nd. I'll flood my mask clear it and see if they stay put. If not I'm out $35, but if they stay put I have save a little toward more gear.

Or for $10 more you could have gotten this:

http://www.leisurepro.com/Prod/Item.../Context_954/Sort_SKU/DescSort_0/XSSMF2G.html

and have a more gear (another mask) :D . Assuming of course 1.75+ reading strength is all you need.

DiveGolfSki:
Or for $10 more you could have gotten this:

http://www.leisurepro.com/Prod/Item.../Context_954/Sort_SKU/DescSort_0/XSSMF2G.html

and have a more gear (another mask) :D . Assuming of course 1.75+ reading strength is all you need.

My wife has that mask and while it does help her read her
computer she's not particularly fond of it. The reason being is
that you can't see closeup with both eyes at the same time.
You have to tilt your head and use either you left or right eye.
I tried it and it is kind of frustrating. Very unatural.

--- bill

Back
Top Bottom