Read JJ's book - What's all the fuss about?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

wedivebc:
Most experienced DIR divers have a lot to offer us non-DIR guys and I take as much as I can from their experience.

I'm not sure they need to be DIR for that, Dave. Every time I dive with experienced tek divers I learn something new. A little trick, something handy, a principle or approach to something.... In my experience, DIR divers do not have the monopoly on good ideas. They have some good ideas, just not a monopoly.

For some reason though many divers with 30 dives and a fundies course seem to think they should be telling us how to be doing it right.

That've probably seen your picture..... :D They've also been told that DIR is the pinnacle of diving.... And, of course, everyone can be a world famous expert in a cyber-fantasy-world.

R..

They've also been told that DIR is the pinnacle of diving

You know, I read this, and I sat back and thought over all the conversations I've had with the two GUE instructors I've been lucky enough to spend time with, and I can't recall either of them ever saying any such thing. (They may assume that, having presented myself for instruction, I have already concluded that :) ) In fact, both people said almost the same thing in the same words: "I'm going to show you what we do, and explain why we do it, and you can go home and make your own decisions about what YOU are going to do."

The relatively novice diver with a Fundies class under her belt is undoubtedly a little obnoxious about this stuff . . . Perhaps because, compared with the knowledge deficit and skills shortcomings she has, the end result of the DIR road looks so impressive. And because so much of it makes so much sense. But isn't that true of anything -- beware the enthusiasm of the newly converted?

wedivebc:
Most experienced DIR divers have a lot to offer us non-DIR guys and I take as much as I can from their experience. For some reason though many divers with 30 dives and a fundies course seem to think they should be telling us how to be doing it right.
I must admit I am seeing less of it than before but it still gives DIR a bad name.
We've implemented quarantine procedures to insulate the newly-converted from the outside world until they can gain some perspective. But we need to add some refinements to make the new procedures more effective ... :D

... Bob (Grateful Diver)

TSandM:
....snip.... In fact, both people said almost the same thing in the same words: "I'm going to show you what we do, and explain why we do it, and you can go home and make your own decisions about what YOU are going to do."

This is certainly an empowering message, but let me ask you a question, Lynne. Once your skills, techniques and practices are sorted, will you still need someone to say this too you? At what point does DIR become a means to an end, or a frame of reference, as opposed to an end in itself?

R..

TSandM:
You know, I read this, and I sat back and thought over all the conversations I've had with the two GUE instructors I've been lucky enough to spend time with, and I can't recall either of them ever saying any such thing.
It's not the instructors doing the damage.....

TSandM:
The relatively novice diver with a Fundies class under her belt is undoubtedly a little obnoxious about this stuff . . . -- beware the enthusiasm of the newly converted?
It's not just the "newly converted".

Diver0001:
At what point does DIR become a means to an end, or a frame of reference, as opposed to an end in itself?

i think only you can answer this for yourself (and she can only answer for
herself). to be fair, it's a trick question. DIR is a holistic system. its end
is itself. the system IS the most important thing or it doesn't work. this is basically the bottom line for any holistic system, whether in diving, kung f.u., zen, christianity, islam, the American two-party system, marriage, etc.

(it's funny, when people accuse DIR of being a cult, they don't really
understand the much deeper connection between all holistic systems,
nor do they equate their own ideologies in day to day life with the same
thing .... for example, their willingness to obey the holistic system that
is the American traffic system (red light, stop sign, yellow line, etc.)
and when they get tickets, they could have been driving perfectly safely,
but somehow did not obey the holistic system, and were fined, because
it's THE SYSTEM THAT COUNTS. oh well, digression)

when i came onboard DIR, i pretty much knew i'd have to get off at some point,
that i wasn't going "all the way," just because of my diving, personality, etc.,
but in the meantime, i knew i could lear a heck of a lot

i wish to avoid the argument: waht is better, living together or marriage?
same thing here... what is better, DIR or more informal dive systems?

For me . . . DIR has already become a means to an end. What I've discovered in the last six months, since Fundies, is that the more I work toward satisfying the standard I was given there, the more fun I have diving. And working through the two minor incidents I've had in the last month has been enlightening, as well.

The GUE instructor with whom I spent some time this weekend, and with whom I will dive tomorrow, was wonderful about pointing out that some things about the DIR canon (basically consistent gear configuration) are fundamental to safety. Others, like how you secure your lighthead, are really essentially personal and almost irrelevant.

At 120 dives, I don't even BEGIN to think that I have a database to evaluate and discard other approaches to diving. What I do think is that I have found a basic approach to doing this that creates a great deal of safety and comfort for the participants, and a certain amount of elegance at the same time. So far, I've not encountered anything major where there appears to be controversy or disagreement and where I, personally, can see a reason to diverge. It way well be that, with further and broader experience, I may. But even you, Rob, have referred to DIR as the collected best practices as we currently know them.

If somebody's unhappy with DIR because it prescribes how you tie the bolt snaps to your light head, then they've run into some ultra-orthodox practitioners who have the time and energy to get focused on the little things. The basic concepts of a rational and consistent gear configuration, excellent basic diving skills, practice and facility with emergency procedures, and awareness of the diving environment, to include your team members, their status and equipment, the environment in which you are functioning, and the unavoidable constraints (depth, time, air, equipment) that limit your dive, are just basically good diving practice and, at least to me, pretty hard to question.

TSandM:
For me . . . DIR has already become a means to an end. What I've discovered in the last six months, since Fundies, is that the more I work toward satisfying the standard I was given there, the more fun I have diving. And working through the two minor incidents I've had in the last month has been enlightening, as well.

The GUE instructor with whom I spent some time this weekend, and with whom I will dive tomorrow, was wonderful about pointing out that some things about the DIR canon (basically consistent gear configuration) are fundamental to safety. Others, like how you secure your lighthead, are really essentially personal and almost irrelevant.

At 120 dives, I don't even BEGIN to think that I have a database to evaluate and discard other approaches to diving. What I do think is that I have found a basic approach to doing this that creates a great deal of safety and comfort for the participants, and a certain amount of elegance at the same time. So far, I've not encountered anything major where there appears to be controversy or disagreement and where I, personally, can see a reason to diverge. It way well be that, with further and broader experience, I may. But even you, Rob, have referred to DIR as the collected best practices as we currently know them.

If somebody's unhappy with DIR because it prescribes how you tie the bolt snaps to your light head, then they've run into some ultra-orthodox practitioners who have the time and energy to get focused on the little things. The basic concepts of a rational and consistent gear configuration, excellent basic diving skills, practice and facility with emergency procedures, and awareness of the diving environment, to include your team members, their status and equipment, the environment in which you are functioning, and the unavoidable constraints (depth, time, air, equipment) that limit your dive, are just basically good diving practice and, at least to me, pretty hard to question.

Some people just love doctrine.

darkpup:
Come on, you're just bitter about us using Jet Fins.

~ Jason

Not even close Jason, I have a pair of Jets myself-1970 model.

http://cavediveflorida.com/Rum_House.htm

Back
Top Bottom