Read gauges with no mask

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

The more Neanderthal amongst us have no problems catching a bubble under our heavy brow ridges.

The talking glove......hold the open end of the glove and seal around mouth, talk into the bubble of air.

-never heard of that one before...

Regarding the spare mask, I should have been more specific in my OP. My interest in this trick stems from a 'lost mask drill' my dive buddy and I do. Deploying my spare would just give me two things to look for. But now, I can take off my glove and tell him to quit pis***g around. Now we are getting somewhere!

Last edited:
You can cup your hands over your brow and direct exaust bubles there, after a bit of practice you'll get it easily... is trickier with just one hand though (so can read wrist comp) its all about the angle of your head

good luck and have fun

Even carrying a pair of swim goggles in your BC Pocket may suffice if the squeeze is not too severe.

If you ever need air bubbles, can't capture your exhaust, feel uncomfortable taking your reg out of your mouth and/or don't want to mess with your bouyancy... reach for your octopus. With it in hand you can do whatever interesting things you want to do with bubbles and breath easy!

It is easy to forget that just because the octopus is there for emergencies, doesn't mean it can't be used whenever and for whatever you want. The added bonuses of using your Octopus for these types of exercises are: 1) It tests the octopus to make sure it is functioning properly at depth (how many of us ever do that?) and, of course, 2) the more you use it the easier it will be to find it in an emergency.

P

P.S. Add me to the list of divers who will jump into their pools this weekend to see if they can catch enough bubbles to clearly read their gages!

Last edited:
I'm not sure how you would clear them. You're putting them on underwater.

I'll show you when we go to FGB. I've done a full ascent using swim goggles. They are a lot easier to carry than a backup mask. But they are only good for terminating the dive with a fairly direct trip to the surface. A backup mask gives you more options.

Back
Top Bottom