RAW and PE 3

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

kevreid

Contributor
Reaction score
I have read all the posts here on SB as well as several other sites regarding the capabilities of PE 3 with RAW format. It still leaves me questioning, if one is going to use PE 3, would it be better to shoot in SHQ or go ahead with RAW?
What would be lost/gained?

From what I understand you'll have full and total control over the photos taken in RAW. The camera records all the data as it is seen and does not apply any perameters of it's own. You'll have a 'raw' image to work with. This also means a whole new learning curve to process the photos.

To have the ability to process RAW and not use it is sort of like putting on full scuba gear to snorkel! If you have it, by all means use it!

alcina and others can give you lots more info. I'm still trying to find a RAW plug-in for PS7. :06:

You may actually be asking my question better than I did with this statement:

Dee:
To have the ability to process RAW and not use it is sort of like putting on full scuba gear to snorkel! If you have it, by all means use it! :06:

Is PE 3 suited enough for RAW to accomplish more with the photo than if it were shot in SHQ or am I going to 130 fsw with a snorkel?

Again....I don't have PE3 and have not seen it, but from what I've read the RAW capabilities are adequate but not nearly as complete as with CS. If you haven't bought PE3 yet, and you plan to really get into RAW, I think it's well worth the extra $50 or so to upgrade to the full CS program. You can upgrade to CS from any PE or PS version for only $169.

kevreid:
I have read all the posts here on SB as well as several other sites regarding the capabilities of PE 3 with RAW format. It still leaves me questioning, if one is going to use PE 3, would it be better to shoot in SHQ or go ahead with RAW?
What would be lost/gained?

Using RAW format prevents any kind of compression from being applied to the image as it is being stored on the card. Using JPEG or any other kind of non-RAW like image format generally degrades the image by applying an algorithm to the picture... so what you see when you view it on the screen is actually an interpretation of the actual image.

I'm a bit lost on the scuba/snorkel analogy, but it's early here!

If your camera supports RAW and you have a way (any way) to get that image into your editing software, then I would use RAW. With RAW, basically, the camera captures all the information of the scene and doesn't throw stuff out. YOU then choose things like white balance etc at the software level (this would normally be done by the camera...and the camera has presets so even for the stuff you choose, you don't have the full options).

I don't know anything about PE3 so can't help there. But you are doing your images a disservice in the future if they aren't in RAW now. I so wish I had started RAW immediately instead of waiting until I "knew more" or was "better"!

If your software won't give you total control over your RAW images, but will let you get them into your software, you are still better off than shooting SHQ. Why? Because you'll still have pretty much the same image you would have had shooting SHQ, but you will have way more information saved in the file. So it gives you more to work with right now and you'll have all the information to work with in the future when you upgrade your software so you can revisit your images.

My theory is why throw away perfectly good data (which is essentially what shooting SHQ & other jpeg formats does.)

I don't know if I have explained it right or not...I don't get all the technical details, just the outline! HTH

Thanks all for tying to help!

I understand RAW and it’s advantages. What I was trying to understand is if PE3 was a program that would allow enough manipulation to actually be an asset with RAW and more importantly will it provide at least comparable results using a RAW file rather than SHQ. In other words, is there any downside to RAW using the PE3 program.

Alcina, your point about having the image in RAW for future software upgrade is a good one………thanks.

Dee, on Adobe’s website, in the forums section, I found only one reference to upgrading PE to CS. It was a limited time offer for $299. That window has passed. The $169 only applies to “Photoshop” products. I would go ahead to CS for $169 if it was available. Do you know something that I couldn’t find?

I officially joined the C5050, PT-015 club this morning. I know you two (Dee and Alcina) will appreciate that! Now you know why I’m on this RAW information gathering crusade. I’m going back to Cozumel on the 19th.

kevreid:
Dee, on Adobe’s website, in the forums section, I found only one reference to upgrading PE to CS. It was a limited time offer for $299. That window has passed. The $169 only applies to “Photoshop” products. I would go ahead to CS for $169 if it was available. Do you know something that I couldn’t find?
Photoshop Elements (PE) IS a Photoshop product! I saw a link to the $169 upgrade on DDN...I'll try to find it for ya.

I officially joined the C5050, PT-015 club this morning. I know you two (Dee and Alcina) will appreciate that! Now you know why I’m on this RAW information gathering crusade. I’m going back to Cozumel on the 19th.
Congrats! Don't say we didn't warn you about the addiction and the immediate drain on your bank account! :rofl:

Oops...I stand corrected. It was my understanding that ANY Photoshop program was included in the upgrade. I just found this on the Adobe Upgrade page ..."NOTE:Upgrade does not apply to Photoshop Elements, Photoshop Album, Photoshop Limited Edition, or PhotoDeluxe licensed users."

Sorry.

I just got off the phone with Adobe and it looks like the upgrade from PSE to CS is $499!

I think I'll be sticking to jpg!

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom