Rattle inside the tank

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

jackass

Registered
Reaction score
# of dives
50 - 99
I just picked up one of my tanks last night from getting filled, and this morning I noticed a rattling sound inside the tank (as in, something is rolling around inside, and it sounds metal). The only thing that I can imagine it would be is the small metal tube attachment where the air enters the valve unscrewed itself.

Does anyone know of anything else that could have "come off" in there? And if it is that metal tube, does it really matter? Any danger?

Does anyone have any experience with this happening before? I am planning to have it checked out after my next dive when I am going in to the shop anyway, but I thought I would check here first. Thanks.

Sounds like the dip tube got away from the valve. Bleed it down low and have it taken care of. The tube is one of the safeguards against contaminating your regulator.

Pete

You got the right answer I know of several people who have had that tube fall off, none died or had any problem diving the tank.
So unless you're as anal as me & that noise drives you crazy like it would me & you don't mind paying for another visual to get it fixed. It will be fine.

OK Spectrum, thanks for that info, learn something new everyday.

You're right, it is the snorkle tube from the valve that is rattling around. This is a common occurrance. It was not tightened down enough. The tube is there to keep any solid particles like rust from going into your regulator when the tank is inverted during use. It won't hurt anything to leave it there untill the next time you fill your tank. Just empty the contents of the tank, take the valve off, screw the tube back in and tighten it down with a pair of pliers.

It would probably be best to do this at the shop at which you bought the tank. They may want to VIP the tank if you drain it. They should do it for no charge if they were the ones who assembled the valve in the first place.

Yea the idea is that when the cylinder is upside down, or nearly so the only way for a flake of any size to get into the air delivery systemm is for it to fall into the end of the tube. Against the diameter of the cylinder this is a tiny percentage of probability.

Without the tube the crown of the cylinder acts as a funnel! :11:

Pete

Thank you.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom