Raritan River

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

jerseybones

Registered
Reaction score
Wondering if any board members have any info on diving the Raritan River. Would think it might have some good artifact/ bottle possibilities

i haven't been diving in the raritan,
but i am also interested to hear if anyone has.

a long time ago i learned how to waterski on it.
it made all future skiing feel like i was on glass.

i remember an old abandoned staten island ferry out there.
it had many strange things on board.
if it's still there, maybe it's time for one of us to sink it. :D

I've heard from one of the members of my club (SI Sport Divers) that there used to be an Army weapons depot along the final (or first, if you're coming from the Bay) bend in the river. From what I've heard, there is a lot of old ammunition & possibly weapons around there, but you may have to dig for them.

As for the old Staten Island ferry, it's been considered (by whom, I'm not sure) to be moved and turned into an artificial reef, but was just not cost-effective. First it would have to be pried out of the mud it currently sits in, then towed out to sea with no guarantee that it will float the whole way. Aside from that, they would still need to remove whatever environmental hazards still exist on board. It's a messy job, and one that no (sane) amount of money will be able to finish.

Vis is probably typically low - 3-4 feet at the most. I'd expect blackout conditions once the bottom gets stirred up.

If you stir the bottom in an active river it does not stay bad very long.

I have dove the Raritan Bay, vis was 2' and dark green. No vis at the bottom (40'). The bottom is soft mud that gets kicked up by the current. I would guess any artifacts would settle deep in the mud.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom