Rare primitive shark captured on film

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

wow...a unique and rare shark!

let's hope the Japanese don't eat it as sushi

:wink:

How cool. It didn't look too "nimble" in the video, so it must have been on its last leg. Sad that it died.

H2Andy:
wow...a unique and rare shark!

let's hope the Japanese don't eat it as sushi

:wink:

They'd have to work pretty hard for that...these guys live down deeper than 200m. This one is presumably swimming pretty shallow because he is already sick and dying. Fascinating little living fossil, isn't he? :wink:

drbill:
Saw this on the news last night. Definitely an interesting looking shark. I may have to get some "ultra tech" training so I can go down and film them... or maybe just hijack a submersible.

Bill, even with ULTRA TECH training, I don't think you are going to film one of these puppies at 1000M. I'd go for the submersible route! Get ready for terms similar to community service to get on board a Johnson Sea Link or similar. My Cuz, a marine biologist, has to earn something like 35% of her salary teaching in order to justify her existence as a research biologist with access to several crusies a year studying creatures at 2000+ feet in a SeaLink. The good and bad news, 35% of her salary is not that big! :D

Seems like you have a good life without pimping yourself out to places like Harvard Branch.

Creepy looking thing isn't it? The eye looked a bit milky - was that because it was a creature of the deep or because it was sick? (also looked beat up towards the tail)

Looks like one of them shrieking eels that grow louder when they're about to feed on human flesh.

Back
Top Bottom