Rare Pink Handfish Filmed

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Tassi Devil Diver

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
1000 - 2499
Discovery of a rare and endangered pink handfish on the wreck of the SS Tasman on the Tasman Peninsula, Tasmania at a depth of 70m. The pink handfish has only been seen by divers on three other occasions. These are the first images of the pink handfish taken by divers in its natural environment. This video covers the moments leading up to and including the discovery of this rare little fish. Be aware that during the excitement of the discovery some profanity was expressed under the influence of rich helium breathing mix, a phenomenon previously recognized by the ichthyologist Richard Pyle on his deep rebreather dives looking for fish specimens.

It’s not extinct yet! Congratulations on a wondrous find.

That’s fantastic! Thanks for sharing this video.

Discovery of a rare and endangered pink handfish on the wreck of the SS Tasman on the Tasman Peninsula, Tasmania at a depth of 70m. The pink handfish has only been seen by divers on three other occasions. These are the first images of the pink handfish taken by divers in its natural environment. This video covers the moments leading up to and including the discovery of this rare little fish. Be aware that during the excitement of the discovery some profanity was expressed under the influence of rich helium breathing mix, a phenomenon previously recognized by the ichthyologist Richard Pyle on his deep rebreather dives looking for fish specimens.

Mmmm. . . tastey

These are such amazing little fish they use their petrel fins like modified hands and lop around on the bottom. There are 14 species of handfish found in southern eastern Australia of which 9 are endemic to the coastal waters of Tasmania in depth from a few metres to around 300m. Most are only known from a handfull of sightings. In my 30 years of diving I have encountered four species, the spotted handfish only found in the Derwent river estuary and adjacent embayment's, the red hand handfish now only restricted to one site the size of a tennis court and is on the brink of extinction, the Ziebell's handfish which has not been seen for over 10 years, my sighting was the last recorded (unfortunately no photo) and now the pink handfish, seems now restricted to waters deeper than 60m, I have managed to get photos of three species.

693 Spoted Handfish3.JPG

Spotted Handfish
1448RedHandFish5.JPG

Red Handfish
Pink Hadfish2_James Parkinson.JPG

Pink Handfish

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom