Rakiraki in March

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

browntrout

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
200 - 499
My wife and I have been looking towards a 20th anniversary trip to Fiji. Our anniversary is March 18th. After much debate I have landed on Wananavu for 7-10 days. Everything I am reading about March weather is rain which will kill visibility. My wife is dead set on doing the trip over the anniversary so I am starting to consider another destination. We've been to Roatan twice during the rainy season in January/February and even though one trip had a lot of rain both trips were great with no regrets. Are we likely to have the experience in Fiji in March with just a few showers or can it be trip altering rain?

If not Fiji where else that is going to be a big change from the Caribbean that will be good in March?

Personally I would stick with Fiji. Go to Naigani Island resort. Even if you get a little rain it won't result in much run off and so the visibility will still be good. But if you are still real worried about it just go to Blue Lagoon Beach Resort in the Yasawas. The diving isn't as good in the Yasawas as it is from Naigani but they get very little rain there even in the rainy season and it I'd a really fun resort.

Bula Browntrout,
We're happy that you've chosen Fiji as your destination and even happier you choose to dive with us at Wananavu. I just wanted to clarify some information about what effects out visibility and it isn't generally caused by runoff as in March (which is one of the times I recommend diving anywhere in Fiji due to lower trade winds, and calmer oceans) we may get the afternoon thunderstorms just like everywhere else but where we end up diving most of the time is out in the Vatu-I-Ra passage which is miles off shore and run off is not generally a problem. The best part about Wananavu is we are located on the Sun Coast so our wet season is not as wet as other areas like Suva, Pacific Harbor or the Coral Coast (where my wife and I spent our first year in Fiji).

What tends to cause the lower visibility anywhere in Fiji is the longer summer days. Longer summer days and increased water temp often can lead to additional plankton blooming which lowers visibility. This tends to be the case anywhere. Now the lower vis (still averaging 60'+) is better than many areas of the world. But it's these nutrients that lead to us having the amazing diving we have in Fiji. Don't let cbm32 lower your confidence, Naigani will have approx the same vis as the passage because their water and our water flow together.

But check out pictures on our website (listed below in our signature) as the majority of them taken by Vicky were taken this past summer after her D200 arrived. We also post dive reports on our site from almost all our dives with photos so take a breeze back to March and see what our diving was like. But rest assure we will work our hardest to make sure you get the best diving and have the best time while in Fiji.

Moce,
Chris, Vicky & the entire Dive Wananavu Fiji crew.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom