Raja Ampat: which wetsuit in November?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Thanks for current temp info. I've dived 10 day trips with 4 dives a day in just a skin when temps have been between 28 and 29C so think I'll do the same again for my December RA trip; vest and hood are the comfort blankets for night dives.

Just returned from third RA trip 3 hours ago. I wore a 5 mil with no hood on 36 dives and was comfortable on all of them.

Just returned from third RA trip 3 hours ago. I wore a 5 mil with no hood on 36 dives and was comfortable on all of them.
What were the temps? Was there much variation between areas of RA?

What were the temps? Was there much variation between areas of RA?
This was our first land-based trip there after two liveaboards, so I can only reply about Dampier Strait / Pulau Gam side, which was probably 27-28 -ish, more on the low end. I tend not to watch the temps closely unless it's cold. We had come from Ambon, where were froze our backsides off. There were a few thermoclines, which were more than I remember from other trips. There's currently a plankton bloom / rain runoff layer of warm water at the surface, then clear below the thermocline.

We had come from Ambon, where were froze our backsides off. There were a few thermoclines, which were more than I remember from other trips. There's currently a plankton bloom / rain runoff layer of warm water at the surface, then clear below the thermocline.

What was the water temp in Ambon? We are headed there then on to RA in 2 weeks. How were the critters? etc.?

Hmm...I'm going to Ambon in about a month after going to RA as well. Surprised to read that it was so cold. The resort in Ambon indicates no more than a 3mm is necessary year round. Do you feel it's worth packing a 5mm?

Much appreciated :) I don't want to pack the heavier wetsuit unless necessary, otherwise I'll be boiling inside it in RA.

Hmm...I'm going to Ambon in about a month after going to RA as well. Surprised to read that it was so cold. The resort in Ambon indicates no more than a 3mm is necessary year round. Do you feel it's worth packing a 5mm?
I was wearing a 5 mil with a BioPly skin under it and a 3 mil hood, and I was freezing. I sat out our last dive to lay on the boat roof and warm up. I wasn't alone. Everyone was cold. But I hear it's warming some now, like Lembeh, which I hear was very cold. I never look at the temp on my computer, but others were saying it was 22-23-ish. I think some of the thermoclines were colder. As to the critters, I personally prefer Lembeh over Ambon (our first time there), but Ambon has the rhinopias in numbers. Maybe if I went back to Ambon in warmer water I'd see more ... couldn't say.

This was our first land-based trip there after two liveaboards, so I can only reply about Dampier Strait / Pulau Gam side, which was probably 27-28 -ish, more on the low end.
thanks much for the info. The reason that I asked is that I dive in board shorts & a rash guard when it's 27 and I really don't want to take a rash guard if I don't need it. 5mm is what I use when it hits 23-24 so knowing the temp is a huge advantage.

Back
Top Bottom