Raja Ampat: which wetsuit in November?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Hintermann

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
500 - 999
I am sure this has been asked before, probably by me included, but I'll ask it once more with due apologies.

I am going to Raja Ampat in November this year and on board the MSV Seahorse. About 39 dives are scheduled on a combined North-South itinerary. I know that the water temperature in RA is almost constant through the year but what I want to ask is, can I get away with a 3mm shorty plus a rash vest underneath, considering that it is a 11-day trip? I have a good 5mm full suit but it is cumbersome changing in and out of it 4 times a day. I do not want to carry both if I can help it due to luggage weight limitations.

I am about average when it comes to feeling the cold underwater. I used to be very good a few years ago but I guess the years are catching-up these days.

I would say probably no. I dive a 2/3 shortie and a full 3 mil suit and am pretty good re feeling cold. I found that by the end of the day diving the shortie in RA I was cold and glad of the full suit for the night dives and later in the trip sometimes even the last day dive I switched to the full suit. Nothing but a shortie for all dives I would suspect would be not quite enough. Doable but you might find yourself skipping a dive and going all that way to skip a dive or two isn't what I would do.

However, I would also say that the 5 mil suit would be way to warm for me to dive every dive.

I would be tempted to pick up a cheap 3 mill suit and take it and the shortie.

Excellent answer, thank you. I do not own a 3mm full suit and my 2.5mm shorty is a little worse for wear after around 300 dives. I can pick-up a new 3mm shorty for around £45 ($70) and take it along too and hope that my luggage weight will not be over the limit. I can use the shorty plus vest for most of the day dives and the 5mm full for the night. Like you, perhaps more of the 5mm after a week.

I dove w/ just a rash guard in March, so it all depends. I am in colder climate usually but was in Indonesia for 3 weeks prior to diving.

I dove in a polar tech fleece with a 3/5 hooded vest for the first part of the trip and then switched to my 3mm towards the end. We were there in late November.

Was there in Oct. And wore a full 3mil. ---was just right for me. YMMV

This past November I was happy with board shorts and a rash guard for about 40 dives. It depends on how much you like 28• water. Some people need 5mm and hoods. Some people get to travel light.

Just got back from RA last week. The water temp was consistently between 27c - 29c.

Wore a 3mm full and it was comfortable for me while others donned rash guard and shorts.

Granted, some dives I could've done it in rash guard and shorts but I chose to wear the 3mm full just for the protection.

Ahhh, this is a very helpful thread (going diving in RA in December). Sounds like I need my 3/2mm long suit. The boat also recommends a hood. Do you think this is needed? Or will just the long suit do?

Take a beanie hood. You may not need it but better to have and not need than need and not have.

I first used my beanie because the cleaning wrasse were trying to clean my ears when we were at Manta Point and that wrasse action stings a bit and its distracting from the main event. Later, I'd wear it just because of core temp. The full suit was beneficial the day the feather star decided to take a ride on the back of my calf. But who knows, maybe it wouldn't have clung there had it been my bare leg. :)

If you have a reef hook, take that too. We didn't need them on every dive but there were a few. The boat I was on didn't have enough for us all.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom