Raja Ampat vs Komodo--which is more rewarding?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

http://www.scubaboard.com/forums/in...ing-raja-ampat-komodo-need-advice-please.html

Theres a few threads on this subject matter.

Just do a search and you ll find similar threads. Ive done both areas now. Komodo in May last year and Raja last month. Depends on what you want to see. For me Komodo had more variety of dive sites and critters. Uw topography in Raja is mostly the same . I picked to travel within the 'best times' on both ocassions. I got 80% sunny in Komodo and 80% cloud/rain in Raja. It felt like there was more variety in small to medium fish schools in Raja. More sharks in the North and overall more pelagics. Komodo had better macro diversity and coral density (though theres evidence of bleaching and bombing on some sites) . . Komodo we saw more Mantas but less sharks. I didnt hear any bombs go off in Raja which is good. Heard 1 or 2 in Komodo. The corals are in good shape in Raja. I didnt see any ranger boats in Komodo though we didnt see many trawlers near dive sites (in the daytime that is) In Raja we had a ranger come on the boat and check permits (in North only) A good sign for us but maybe not Illegal fishermen. I saw a few fishing boats in the south. (marine parks no take zone in misool?) Before landing near sorong the bay is filled with trawlers. Terrble sight. Id do both again though it be nicer if I can get more than 50% sunny conditions in Raja next time. The topside is both very picturesque in both places. . Komodo also has the fabled dragons.

I've been to Komodo in July and Raja Ampat in November. I liked Komodo more, corals, mantas, small stuff, a few sharks, lots of fish, usually great visibility. RA trip was Kaimana to Sorong, so South RA, we had a couple of days of bad visibility, some areas (Fak Fak) looked overfished - a sad sight. Also the boat in Komodo trip (Siren) was great, the one in RA not so (won't name it - but I heard that it has improved). But if I went again, I would probably prefer RA, because I have a feeling I haven't yet seen the real RA yet!

The other aspect worth noting is currents, we had some sites in Komodo with some of the strongest currents. The largest amount of swirling surface eddies around batu bolong and tatawa kecil. Tatawa kecil was the strongest. Shotgun was another wild ride with upcurrents. But thats what the big fish love. And produces excellent visibility. In Raja we had none to low current in the south. In the north Cape Kri had a moderate to strong current as you came across the 10 m ridge. Most of the other northern sites were medium rate currents. Our Komodo vis was 20-60m+. Raja was 10-30m.

Also the boat in Komodo trip (Siren) was great, the one in RA not so (won't name it - but I heard that it has improved).

Probably no better site to "name names" than Scubaboard ... that's why it's here. :wink:

From the perspective of we who live on the other side of the world, you Singaporeans are already practically on top of both Komodo and Raja Ampat. Just pick one for this trip and do the other next time. Living in N. America, that part of the world is a long and expensive trip I manage to take only once every five years or so. You lucky Singaporeans!

As a Yank based here for a quarter century, I'd tend to agree with you. A great majority of the world's best dive sites are a relatively short flight or two from Singapore.

Funny enough Ive not known of many Singaporeans who go to Komodo or Raja Ampat in numbers and regularly. They seem to go a lot to Tioman, Redang, Tulamben or Sipadan (which is actually further to get to).

Think Komodo and RA, though nearby, are still on the expensive side (obviously it is a lot more expensive for you guys on the other side of the globe!) when compared to the likes of sipandan, Bali, manado and perhaps even maldives. But having read all these wonderful feedback ( thank you so much everyone), Komodo will be on my calendar for next year, RA will have to wait just a little while :)

I think you made a good choice. I think the general consensus is that vis is generally not as good in Raja and the underwater topography is not as diverse as in Komodo. Great biodiversity in both. I much prefer Komodo to Raja but the op can make a huge difference in your experience. Some of them ace the diving, others do a really mediocre job.

Reactions: MA
From the perspective of we who live on the other side of the world, you Singaporeans are already practically on top of both Komodo and Raja Ampat. Just pick one for this trip and do the other next time. Living in N. America, that part of the world is a long and expensive trip I manage to take only once every five years or so. You lucky Singaporeans!

100% agree! Oh, to have your problems, you lucky Singaporeans!

Komodo VS Raja Ampat is like Machu Picchu vs Angkor Wat. Both are amazing/rewarding. Of course your experience may depend on what time of year you go and what dive op you go with. Otherwise, I don't know, flip a coin? :wink:

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom