Raja Ampat off season?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

opalobsidian

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
100 - 199
Hello!

My husband and I visit Asia in June/July. In 2011 we'd love to dive Raja Ampat, but hear it would be the off season....what exactly does that mean as far as diving conditions? Internet research turns up vague references to high winds....?

Thanks so much for your helprful answers!
Shivaya

I am interested in a trip to Raja Ampat in June/July as well and would like to hear anyone's feedback for visiting this time of year...so bump!

Hi, my first post, not meant to hijack the post, I would be
interested about the 'off season' and a pointer to the ideal
diving seasons in RA. Is it high season from mid Oct onwards?
thanks, mks

This is the windy season. All the boats head elsewhere where they can be to the lee side of the prevailing wind.

Your best bet is land based at Misool Eco Resort or Sorido Bay, google Papua Diving.

ScorpioFish, for the boats that do stay in Raja at this time (I am considering one), does "windy season" mean rough seas and low vis? I get seasick pretty easy, so this could make or break my decision to be on a boat. I'm also a photographer, so if there is a good possibility of low vis, I'll probably just go somewhere else. Thanks.

ScorpioFish, for the boats that do stay in Raja at this time (I am considering one), does "windy season" mean rough seas and low vis? I get seasick pretty easy, so this could make or break my decision to be on a boat. I'm also a photographer, so if there is a good possibility of low vis, I'll probably just go somewhere else. Thanks.

I know of no boats that are there in July.

I asked the same question recently when I was at Sorido and they shut down the Kri for a month or so because of the winds but they keep Sorido open as it is around the corner and a bit more sheltered.

I know of no boats that are there in July.

Putiraja, Temukira, Raja Ampat Explorer:

Grand Komodo Liveaboard Diving Schedules, Prices, and Booking

Some are already fully booked.

I was actually considering June 10-17 on Putiraja but I don't want to get all the way out there and wish I had gone to Komodo or Lembeh,Buyat,Bunaken instead. I'm Kinda pushing this because I really want to dive Raja but I can't get the prime months to dive there (Dec. Jan etc) off from work.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom