Raja Ampat Liveaboard 2019 help

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Did your friend certify successful? I think whether they go depends on how confident they were, and how enthusiastic they are. Enthusiasm will make them want to keep improving quickly. Diving as much locally will give them an opportunity to improve.

One thing that cannot be experienced is sea sickness. Might want to test on a day boat before spending that much money going to raja. Even when boats provide medication it might not be enough.

Bill, Dan and outofoffice are very serious divers with a lot of experience. And indonesian enthusiasts heh.

Current depends a lot on divemaster drop point and how they lead. Letting DM know will help with monitoring and switch DMs if there are concerns. Tip accordingly haha. Another option is hire a separate DM to stay with them. The number 1 rule (or maybe that's to breathe always), they must be willing to call a dive if uncomfortable, and you should not be upset following them up as their buddy.

When I was there in April, there were strong currents around restrictions like atolls. But once you get to the surface it was calm as a baby. So separating from group is not a scary idea. Of course ability to deploy SMB and sound device/Nautilus/plb is always useful to bring. At the very least it provides reassurance.

So separating from group is not a scary idea. Of course ability to deploy SMB and sound device/Nautilus/plb is always useful to bring. At the very least it provides reassurance.

In Indo, and maybe anywhere, ALWAYS bring an SMB. If you don't know how to deploy it underwater, no worries -- if you get separated just deploy it on the surface.

Every diver should carry their own SMB. We were with a couple that had one SMB between them, until they got separated and it was left in the hotel room. He said it was her fault, and vice versa. Yeah, whatever. Just try looking for a head bobbing on the surface a hundred meters away. Then imagine medium seas - you get the picture. It doesn't happen often, but it does happen.

And oh yeah a mirror and a whistle. I don't mind dying if my number is up. I just don't want to be embarrassed at my Memorial Service when they say "but for a $2 mirror he would still be with us..." Death is one thing, but the embarrassment would be just too much to bear!

- Bill

Hey everyone, thanks in advance for replies.

I'm starting to plan a trip to Raja Ampat for December 2019 or Feb 2020. Most likely 7-8 nights. Ive been looking through the boards, but some questions:

1. I know weather is up to whatever you believe in, but is either month better than the other for visibility or marine life?

2. Anyone had any experience with the Aggressor? So far it has the best combo of nights and rates plus itinerary. Similar suggestions are welcome.

3. One of my friends wants to get certified this summer and is interested in going with me, granted of course on how well he likes diving. How do you rate the level of the difficulty diving in Raja Ampat? Would a fairly new diver be okay? Ive have dived in the Andaman Sea, Cozumel, Roatan, Caymans and Florida Keys. Anyone who can compare the levels would give me a good idea.

4. Most likely the itinerary is Soroong to Soroong? Any comments on the dive sites or better options?

I know its a way out, but I like to explore as many angles as possible. Thank you for your help.

Nashwl

If early December is the right timing for you, but Raja Ampat is out of luck because most of the good liveaboards are full, try Red Sea Aggressor, Search Results

I have been happy with Pslau Aggressor II and Maldives Aggressor II, so I booked Red Sea Aggressor II for late December, 2019 a month ago. Flights to Red Sea They are offering $949 off now, dropping the price from $2399 to $1450 for 8D/7N. You might still be lucky to get 2 spots at this time.

Just a mention - @billt4sf has mentioned Indo currents. I recall a while back sending him a link regarding the Indonesian through flow after reading his plan to spend a year in Indo with his wife. Most people would have given it a cursory nod or deleted it as some know it all trying to rain on their parade, but, to his credit, he read it thoroughly and asked a million questions. From arriving in Indo being "wary" of currents, he's got his big boy reef hook now and heads to seriously currenty areas. Kudos.
My point is...there is nothing wrong with a diver knowing about currents and what to look for and what to do. This threads touched on SMBs and "going your own way away from the group" (Not in Indo you don't, that's why you're assigned a guide) and getting lost at sea.
Thread has touched on sitting out a dive - and some form of "shame" for doing so. Ive sat out dives purely because I want some solitude on the ocean where I feel my soul centred. Ive congratulated friends for not missing a single dive on a LOB Itinery because to them, that's an achievement. If someone judges you for sitting out a dive..basically they're a wanker. I've seen some extremely experienced industry figure divers sit out or abort dives...not because they're scared or wary but because they know one thing to be true about the ocean -

Its in charge not your LOB schedule. It sets where and when you can dive and where you can't. I've tried to press on fighting against swirling currents on an exploratory dive and in the end given up to find them having sat in the tender for 20 minutes.

I did a Komodo trip last year on Pindito with a guy 10 dives out of OW. The clientele that trip was a lot of Europeans who do one trip a year. Guides and groups were allocated according skill level. I admit going ten dives no way - he did awesome. I believe he did every dive on the trip too except one night dive where I asked to be buddies with him. At Batu Bulong, he went to another easier site which is why picking a good boat is important.

I would recommend getting more dives under your belt, but don't dream it's over before its begun.

I am using liveaboard.com and they are looking into the space options for me. I was little thrown off by both boats showing multiple cabins open, then when you try and book they say they are full. Unfortunately, I have learned they might not be 100% reliable in that regard. I will have to wait and see what happens, and gauge other options.

I would thank everyone for their advice.

My friend will not be going. It will just be me. I dont claim to be an expert diver, but I have done a few liveaboards and been to Cozumel with its drifts for probably 80 dives. I would hope a boat claiming you dont need any experience level to go with them wouldnt be sending us into the abyss unsupervised, or diving us in unsafe conditions.

Liveaboard.kom is usually behind. You need to contact the boat owner directly, especially if you try to book it < a year.

I usually like to get the upper deck cabin or in front of the boat to get away from the engine noise as I’m a light sleeper, so I usually book it early.

I have tried emailing the boats. Still waiting on replies. Not all is lost, haha, at least it isnt all lost yet. The issue is getting 2 weeks off at work. It isnt easy to do in the medical field. I am still hopeful something will work out, or I can get lucky enough to flip some time off. Just hurry up and wait right now.

Feedback from Aggressor: ``The boat is down that week per the owner.''

Maybe that explains the cabins being filled up so quick on Mermaid, probably transfers. Just my luck :).

Back
Top Bottom