Trip Report Raja Ampat, Live Report, Nov. 7-Dec. 7, 2023

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Thank you for continuing your trip report! Very much appreciated, especially in light of the tragedy.
Great to hear you managed to get back in the water, not sure if i could've done the same. Even I'm a little wary now (3 weeks from my own trip).

Continued Trip Report

Trash.
There’s no proper garbage disposal on land, so that trash makes it into the ocean. All the diving except for one site was relatively light on trash. The one site we had trash was after a night dive. The boat was surrounded and it was disheartening. Under the layer of trash, with a flashlight you could see a layer of nighttime fish, squid, jellyfish, bait fish.

Photography. This was a photography-focused trip through Bluewater, so there was mention during the briefing as to what kind of lens you’d need for the type of marine life we’d see. I have an Olympus TG6 with a single strobe, so this information didn’t matter to me, but those with the big rigs needed to know so they could have the proper lens for shooting. On a couple of dives, the guides either forgot or didn’t pay attention to the needs of the photographers and on a wide angle dive, they were pointing out macro critters. When it was brought up, the guides were happy to listen to the feedback and adjust. Irrelevant of the fact that this was a photo trip, I think RA gets a fair number of photographers, so they will listen to what you want to see or photograph.

Bioluminescence. I’m like a kid in a candy store when it comes to this stuff, and it was thick and colorful during the trip, especially at the new moon. At night, you could use a flashlight and see it floating like a raft in the ocean. When the boat was coming back from the night dive, the waves were sparkling green.

Night Diving. This itinerary included daily night dives, but that was disrupted due to the accident, so we only got four night dives on the trip, one muck and three reef dives. I’ve never done a muck dive, so this was my first muck dive and it was at night. While it was nice to see what I saw, I wouldn’t have been able to see most of the stuff without the guide or another diver pointing it out. IMO, the super small critters are too much work to hunt for on a sandy bottom. It’s not for me, so I know when I plan the next trip, I’ll sit out the muck diving.

I like to swim away from the reef and look for larval critters, kind of my own version of blackwater diving. I take my torch and point a narrow beam straight out or straight up and watch for the stuff that’s attracted to the light. And, boy, was there some nice things to look at. Several larval squid, salp chain, and a bunch of other wiggly stuff that illuminates under the light.

The Critters and Coral. As a first-timer here and having most of my dive experience in the Caribbean, most of what I saw was new to me. Manta rays (reef and oceanic), wobbegong sharks, electric clam, juvenile electric clam, frogfish, peacock mantis shrimp, crocodile fish, white tip shark, schooling yellow-tail barracuda, humphead wrasse, goliath grouper, lots of nudibranchs, seahorses, pipe seahorses, flamboyant cuttlefish and other species of cuttlefish, crabs from super tiny and larger, giant clams, rainbow scorpionfish, leaf scorpionfish, broad-banded pipefish, blue-spotted stingray, bumphead parrotfish, purple lobster, giant cucumbers, black tip shark, flat worms and other worms, turtles, several species of eels, schooling sergeant majors and jacks, schooling fish that I couldn’t identify, crown of thorns, pygmy seahorses, basket stars, very few lionfish, octopus, various species of shrimp. Never have I ever seen such an abundance of virtually everything underwater!

The wide variety in colorful soft and hard corals was stunning! I think I said in a previous post that every shade, hue, contrast of every color in the rainbow can be found here. The spectrum of diversity is hard to put to words. The reefs are covered and overlapping in coral, and there’s so many layers to the coral that you can’t see the bottom of where it starts to grow.

What I Wanted to See But Didn’t. Blue ring octopus, walking shark, ribbon eel. I'm sure there's more. I just can't remember right now.

The Dive Sites Visited. Some of these were repeated from my stay at SBR.
Saonek
Lau Lau
Saporkren
Cape Kri
Sawadurek
Arborek Jetty
Mioskin
Blue Magic
2 Tree
Puri Pinnacle
Four Kings
Wedding Cake
Wacko Seamount
Nudi Rock
Boo Window
Magic Mountain
Candy Store
Andiamo

Trip Costs. The liveaboard portion of the trip as a solo traveler on the Damai was $9900. This was a one-time, bucket list trip, and although I’m retired, I’m not rich, so this was a big bite off the travel funds. I traveled in business class using miles and cash for a total of $1865 for the international portion and $572 for the domestic (Jakarta to Sorong) economy class portion. I used points and cash for my various hotel stays along the way, which was roughly $500.

Tipping. Their policy for tipping is similar to SBR. Personal money given to the staff is strictly prohibited and causes tension among the staff. You can, however, give giifts to a single person or as a group. I brought gifts and added some cash to it. They have a raffle of sorts for gifts that the guests leave. The owner of Damai gave us the rundown of the tipping procedure. He said all the money goes into a pool and it’s divided equally among everyone, including the office staff in Bali, but not the owners. IMO, the office staff is not on the boat having a face-to-face interaction with the guests. Anyone offsite from the boat shouldn’t be receiving a portion of my tip. As I said in my post about SBR, a poor performer gets the same share as an outstanding performer, and that’s just not fair. Also, to be fair, the staff on this boat were all top performers.

During the three days of the incident, there were no diving activities to tip on. The crew had retreated into their quarters except if they were called upon for questioning related to the incident. The rooms were not cleaned and serviced. We were given meals, but otherwise, the ship was absent of staff. Do you tip on that? (Rhetorical question.)

This number of 10% is thrown around a lot for liveaboard tipping, and that’s on the base fare only, not extras like fuel fees, port, harbor & marine park fees, Nitrox, courses, rental gear. Personally, I’m not going to tip on $9900. I’ve already paid the penalty for being single and that’s spread around the company to pay for the staff in Bali, the owners’ profit, the operational costs. I think a better formula is a per day guideline. We were a group of Americans that paid American pricing for a third-world country trip. Ten percent on American pricing in Indonesia is unbalanced. Just my opinion.

Is Damai Responsible for My Loss? The owner of Damai took the time to ask each guest in private about their experience, how it was handled, how are we doing mentally, and if Damai is responsible to give us compensation. In talking with the others, we all agreed Damai did nothing wrong. All safety protocols and briefings were done well. My comment to the owner was that, no, legally, they are not obligated to compensate me for the lost days, but my hope would be that a gesture of goodwill compensation would be fair.
You're going to have to go on another muck dive (lots more) if you wanna see a Blu Ringed Octopus :) As for tipping, for Indo, I tip my guide IDR 100,000-150,000 ($7-$10) per day (2-3 dives). When I stay at a resort for a week or two, when I leave, I'll also tip the tank boy/driver IDR 300k-400. If it's a tip pool for all staff on a LOB, IMO, IDR300,000 per day ($20) is more than adequate. Sorry to read earlier about the added stress of the diver accident you experienced on this trip, I don't know what my reaction to such an event would be but you seemed to handle it well.

Continued Trip Report

Financial Loss Due to the Accident. At a daily cost of $908 per day, I lost three days on this trip, $2724. Yes, I still had a bed and meals, but this was a diving trip and there was no diving for three days. Bluewater Travel has worked out a compensation package with Damai for all the guests, which doesn’t cover the full loss. I don’t think it’s important to mention the dollar amount. The important thing is Bluewater advocated for the group and got us something. We will be given a Bluewater Travel credit, so we are not tied to using the credit with Damai. I commend both companies for recognizing our trip interruption.

We all still had to pay the fuel surcharge of $250, even though we went nowhere for three days. That’s $3000 more that Damai took in. I disagree with fuel surcharges in principal anyway, and it’s a profit generator, but I think that should have been reduced. The cruise director waived the internet fee of $150 for everyone on the first day of being detained, which was day four of the trip. I think that is overpriced anyway and should be free for a high-end liveaboard like Damai.

Travel and Dive Insurance. If this isn’t a beacon for having travel AND dive insurance, I don’t know what is. I have both. I have DAN dive insurance, the Guardian plan, with the most coverage. I always buy a separate travel insurance policy that covers everything beyond diving specifically for the trip. I also have an annual travel insurance policy through Travel Guard that covers the basics for one annual price. In addition, I used credit cards for payments on the trip that include travel benefits.

I have a PDF copy in my computer of the travel insurance policy in case I need it during travel. I’ve never had to look at it during a trip until now. From what I can tell, there is no coverage for this, but I’m still going to make a claim anyway. Most trip interruption benefits have a long list of inclusions and exclusions, and since the deceased is not my traveling companion, my trip was not interrupted because of that. This gets into some dry insurance discussion, but I have my research to do when I get home to try and recoup some losses.

Keep in mind, insurance companies look to deny coverage first They don’t want to pay out on a claim. Getting documentation at the time of the event/loss is very important, especially if you’re not in the U.S. Insurance companies want proof and documents and more proof and more documents. And save every single receipt from the time of the loss.

Repatriation of Remains. This is a coverage item in travel insurance policies and I bring this to light because when the accident first happened, Steve’s emergency contact couldn’t be reached because the phone number on the pretrip form was not in service or out of date. Once the family was reached, the question was asked of how the body should come back to the U.S. Embalmed in a coffin or cremated remains? In addition to receiving this shocking news, they didn’t know what Steve wanted. Then there was talk back and forth with the Indonesian government and U.S. Consulate as to whether it was legal to transport a body from Indonesia. Somewhere along the way, they embalmed the body, then somebody wanted an autopsy, hen the family wanted cremation. It all became a mess and I don’t know how it ended. So the next time you take a trip, tell your loved ones how you want your body handled should something happen to you.

Final Thoughts. Putting aside the tragedy that struck this trip, I will be returning to Raja Ampat. The biodiversity in marine life and corals is unmatched to anything I've ever seen. What I would spend for three Caribbean trips I could probably go back for another month. Now that I've gone through the pains of the first-timer, like the ATM issues and other minor nuisances I've mentioned, I think the next time will go a lot smoother.

During this trip, I surpassed 500 dives! I know this was a long trip report and I hope there's some benefit to the readers out there. If you have any questions, please feel free to ask. No trolls, please.

The End
I think you should have been compensated for the full three days of missed diving, and then some for the added stress, of this trip. While it appears the tragedy wasn't the fault of the operator, to generate positive PR and make the best of the situation, that's the least the LOB company should have done. Thanks for a comprehensive trip report.

Thank you so much for posting such a detailed, informative trip report. Steve’s untimely death is heartbreaking, and I hope you and everyone else on board are taking care and healing from such a traumatic event. I have read and reread so many portions of this trip, as I will be boarding the Damai II in just a couple of weeks, and folks have shared so much helpful information shared that I am carefully studying. Take good care and thanks again for providing so much detail about your trip.

...it was fortuitous that I didn't go because I don't know that I would have survived. I would have been in Steve's group. All the surviving divers thought they were going to die. It was THAT bad.
This is pretty shocking.
How was it possible for everyone to dive into a life-threatening situation?
Was there no pre-dive by the DM, for this dive?

This is pretty shocking.
There are always pre-dive checks by the Damai DMs. But conditions in Indo can change VERY quickly. I have been on dives in Raja that went from zero current to ripping in seconds. I have also called a dive or two in Raja because the current was too strong to enjoy the dive once getting to the reef, but upon dropping in everything was fine.

This is pretty shocking.
Before every dive, the dive staff would take the tender out for a current check. We would then get a thorough briefing after the tender returned and there was time to ask questions. Down currents can happen at any time during a dive and they are completely unpredictable. As explained by the cruise director after the accident, you cannot see a down current in a current check. Apparently, in Raja Ampat, the tide tables are used as a guide and are not always accurate. They had already been moving the boat around for about an hour that morning looking for a good place to drop in, and this spot was it. It's possible that the current changed and a down current developed even from the time it was checked to the time the divers dropped in. The weird thing is, we could arrive at a dive spot with surface water as smooth as glass, but when we dropped in, you're going for a ride. Or it would be slightly wavy on the surface and down below it was mild to no current.

I did a lot of research for this trip, and the advice I was given about currents were "it's no big deal; you don't need a reef hook, but bring it along if you have it." I knew about down currents in Cozumel, but it was never mentioned as a condition in RA. I guess I didn't ask enough people the right questions because I feel I was not properly informed for the dive conditions of RA.

A reef hook wouldn't have saved Steve, but I needed and used my reef hook at least three times, but primarily I used my pointer stick to plant myself when needed. I have a non-metal stick and I'm surprised it didn't break in half. The Damai has dive goodies on board for sale, so I bought one of their aluminum sticks for the future.

I'm a user of gloves for all the right reasons: rash protection from free-floating stingers in the water, better gripping for climbing up the boat ladder (especially post-hand surgeries), and protection from hanging onto the reef in a dire situation such as the down currents. Now that I've cleaned my gear, I noticed small holes in the fingertips of my gloves from hanging onto the reef, and that was while using the pointer stick, too. I've been using these gloves for five years and this is the first time they got damaged.

As far as the marine park rules, there was never mention of a no gloves policy and nobody asked me to remove them. I've veered a little off topic here, but in the aftermath of the accident, I have evaluated what gear I have and what I would have done to survive.

Before every dive, the dive staff would take the tender out for a current check. We would then get a thorough briefing after the tender returned and there was time to ask questions. Down currents can happen at any time during a dive and they are completely unpredictable. As explained by the cruise director after the accident, you cannot see a down current in a current check. Apparently, in Raja Ampat, the tide tables are used as a guide and are not always accurate. They had already been moving the boat around for about an hour that morning looking for a good place to drop in, and this spot was it. It's possible that the current changed and a down current developed even from the time it was checked to the time the divers dropped in. The weird thing is, we could arrive at a dive spot with surface water as smooth as glass, but when we dropped in, you're going for a ride. Or it would be slightly wavy on the surface and down below it was mild to no current.

I did a lot of research for this trip, and the advice I was given about currents were "it's no big deal; you don't need a reef hook, but bring it along if you have it." I knew about down currents in Cozumel, but it was never mentioned as a condition in RA. I guess I didn't ask enough people the right questions because I feel I was not properly informed for the dive conditions of RA.

A reef hook wouldn't have saved Steve, but I needed and used my reef hook at least three times, but primarily I used my pointer stick to plant myself when needed. I have a non-metal stick and I'm surprised it didn't break in half. The Damai has dive goodies on board for sale, so I bought one of their aluminum sticks for the future.

I'm a user of gloves for all the right reasons: rash protection from free-floating stingers in the water, better gripping for climbing up the boat ladder (especially post-hand surgeries), and protection from hanging onto the reef in a dire situation such as the down currents. Now that I've cleaned my gear, I noticed small holes in the fingertips of my gloves from hanging onto the reef, and that was while using the pointer stick, too. I've been using these gloves for five years and this is the first time they got damaged.

As far as the marine park rules, there was never mention of a no gloves policy and nobody asked me to remove them. I've veered a little off topic here, but in the aftermath of the accident, I have evaluated what gear I have and what I would have done to survive.
You may also want to invest in a stainless steel pointer...even stronger than an aluminum one :)

I got this stainless steel pointer from Amazon for $20 and it works great for me.

IMG_5662.jpeg

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom