Raja Ampat, Komodo, Wakatobi, or elsewhere?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Haleyeah

Registered
Reaction score
# of dives
200 - 499
Ok so I know this is just another "help me decide" thread, but I really want to make the best decision possible for our upcoming trip. It will probably be the last one of this magnitude for a long while...My wife and I are planning to meet some friends in Thailand at the end of November. We have both wanted to do a liveaboard in Indonesia, so this is obviously the time to make it happen. So our timing would be in the November/ early December time frame. From the research I have done, it seems like Raja Ampat, Wakatobi, and Komodo are the best-of-the-best for diving. Would y'all agree? Do you recommend one over the other (or another all together)? Below is what my research has shown me. Again do y'all agree? Can't wait to hear!

Raja Ampat - Absolutely untouched. Large schools of fish. Some palegic (mantas, reef sharks, and occasional dolphins and whale sharks). Tons of coral. Tons of macro. [Viz only ok and currents ok in nov/dec?]

Wakatobi - Unique diving in the form of muck diving. Very little palegic activity. Incredible macro. [Less current and better viz compared to the other two?]

Komodo - strong currents. Palegic (mantas, sunfish, reef sharks). Macro. Diverse diving. [viz in nov/dec?]

I would not put Wakatobi on the same level with Komodo or R4. There is, however, a dive a resort on Wakatobi that is very, very posh which is why Wakatobi gets so much attention. Don't get me wrong; the diving is good. It just isnt R4 or Komodo good.

Komodo and R4 are as good as it gets and you cannot go wrong with either. Your dates work for both areas too.

In my simplest terms:
Raja Ampat = Incredible diversity, tons and tons of fish, some pelagics, pristine reefs, absolutely beautiful topside, again so many fish!!!

Komodo = Pelagics (mantas and more mantas, sharks), pristine reefs, some great muck dives, absolutely beautiful topside, easier to get to (Just one short flight from Bali), can see the dragons while off-gassing before flying.

Which one? For you, I have no idea. The good news is that no matter which location you choose, you have chosen well. You will love it.

From the research I have done, it seems like Raja Ampat, Wakatobi, and Komodo are the best-of-the-best for diving. Would y'all agree? Do you recommend one over the other (or another all together)? Below is what my research has shown me. Again do y'all agree? Can't wait to hear!
You can write off Wakatobi and replace it with Alor, and that would be what I believe to be the best 3 dive areas in Indonesia : R4, Alor and Komodo.
I would characterize Alor with bluer but colder water than the rest,strong currents, colorful corals, best macro of the 3 options (Rhinopias!!), lots of fish big pelagics (sometimes hammerheads).

Hi Haleyeah,
Do not forget that NOV/DEC are part of the rainy season in the south of Indonesia. Komodo and Alor will start to be "showered" at that time (NOV could be OK but not DEC). That is why many liveaboards move forward to the North in September/October.
Better to go to Raja Ampat. You'll have sometimes rain too, but it won't be the monsoon, and there is less wind at that time, for a more comfortable sailing.
Alor climate: https://en.climate-data.org/location/562020/
Komodo climate: https://en.climate-data.org/location/561972/
Raja Ampat climate: http://www.stayrajaampat.com/ultimate-raja-ampat-guide/information/raja-ampat-weather/
To check our cruise schedule: http://waow.ch/price-date-availibility
With best regards
The WAOW Team

A small pitch for Wakatobi, but R4 is probably the best choice for diving and better weather than Komodo at that time. Wakatobi is great diving with great accommodations...just quite pricey. We combined the resort and their live-aboard for an 11 day trip and were thrilled at every part of it, diving, accommodations, service, and food. We will repeat but in many years due to need to save up and it will be a great location as we age. Everything is handled for you if you need. For macro, you do have to do the live-a-board because it takes you to the piers where the best macro is located. The resort is more about stunning reefs, big fish schools and great viz.
As previously stated, you can't go wrong and if you think there is one "best of the best" there is only as each person's taste dictates. Pick one and relax knowing you'll truly enjoy it.

Rob

My suggestion is to go to Raja Ampat in November / early December. We might bump into each other then as I'll be there then. I plan to liveaboard crossing from Ambon to Sorong passing Banda Sea & Raja Ampat, as shown here: One space on La Galigo Liveaboard to Banda & Raja Ampat in Nov 2017 with 15% discount

On your next trip to Indonesia, you might try to visit Komodo around July/August with stop over in Bali to see Oceanic Mola Mola.

Last edited:
While it is true the that summer months in the Southern Indonesian archipelago are called the monsoon season, Komodo has a relatively arid climate compared to other regions in Indonesia. It may rain some, but let’s compare apples to apples. Komodo’s average rainfall is rather mild for the tropics. Take February for instance, Komodo’s wettest month, with an average rainfall of 144 mm or 5.6″ and compare it to Raja Ampat, which during the same period gets an average of 123 mm or 4.8″ (this is the 3rd driest month in the middle of their high season). So you see Komodo has relatively little rainfall for the tropics.

Average-Rainfall-Sorong-300x193.jpg

Sorong
Average-Rainfall-Komodo-300x193.jpg

Komodo​
You'll notice historically, according to World Weather Online, Komodo has less rain than Raja Ampat in December and much less than in November . Granted this season was a little wet, but the prior 4 years were arid and even less participation than shown here. Plus next season they are rumors of another El Niño, calling for a drier climate this season. For more information check out this article - Weather or Not to Go to Komodo.

You can write off Wakatobi and replace it with Alor, and that would be what I believe to be the best 3 dive areas in Indonesia : R4, Alor and Komodo.
I would characterize Alor with bluer but colder water than the rest,strong currents, colorful corals, best macro of the 3 options (Rhinopias!!), lots of fish big pelagics (sometimes hammerheads).
@Luko you need to quit telling people about Alor!!! :wink:They said there were over 30 liveaboards in Sorong the other day for R4...we do not want Alor to turn into Komodo and R4!!:fear:

@Luko you need to quit telling people about Alor!!! :wink:They said there were over 30 liveaboards in Sorong the other day for R4...we do not want Alor to turn into Komodo and R4!!:fear:
:p
Not even afraid of Liveaboards on Alor, the area is too small it doesn't make much sense for a LA, plus the currents are too tricky for them and they don't really know which are the spots to dive when. one morning, I saw one of this premium and expensive boat going backwards on a raising tide then out of imagination staying on Alor divers house reef.
It was funny (or pathetic) to think their divers were paying so much for diving the spot we could have for ourselves anytime as a 3rd or 4th dive in the day.

Back
Top Bottom