Raja Ampat - Is It Worth It?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

To the original poster and those who have dived both northern and southern parts of Raja, can you guys describe/summarize the regions? Felicia has two trips in November that I'm interested in; one is in the north and the other in the south.

Rina W. answered this well on this thread -
http://www.scubaboard.com/forums/5673294-post22.html post # 22

I leave tomorrow for my own private trip with the Putiraja.:dance3: The other people scheduled for the trip canceled about 10 days ago and despite my canceling and restructuring and re-booking and canceling and re-booking ad-nauseum, they have been almost miraculous in their understanding, generosity and enthusiasm. I would have dumped me after about the tenth email changing my mind!
I'll be sure to post a trip report when I return.

Hilary

North: Fish, then coral

South: Coral, then fish

This is correct. I would also add that the underwater landscape in the south is steep and dramatic, with way more wall dives than the north. The corals are also more dramatic; many say the best in the world. They certainly are the best that I have seen.

In the north there seems to be more dives with predictable or "featured" characteristics. For example Manta Point: Mantas; Mioskin: large schools of lined snapper; Melissa's Garden: beautiful hard corals; Pearl Farm Pier: rare small stuff.

There are still tons of fish on the best dives in the south but not as consistent as the north. For me, the south had the two best dives and the two most boring dives of the trip.

Both regions sound awesome, lol. What about macro stuff though? Prior to going to Komodo, I kept reading how diverse it is and how it has everything. After doing a 7-day liveaboard, however, I made my own conclusion that Komodo is generally wide angle stuff with lots of fishy/rainbow-colored coral sites.

Both regions sound awesome, lol. What about macro stuff though? Prior to going to Komodo, I kept reading how diverse it is and how it has everything. After doing a 7-day liveaboard, however, I made my own conclusion that Komodo is generally wide angle stuff with lots of fishy/rainbow-colored coral sites.

I have been to northern Komodo and would agree that macro dedicated dives were not featured on our itinerary except for Pink Beach. Southern Komodo is supposed to have excellent macro but is difficult to dive at certain times of the year.

As for Raja, on our trip, the North was far better for macro. Our dive guide said this is generally the case. Pearl Farm Pier in the north was the top macro sight. Actually the sights all around Aljuie Bay (sp?) in the north were great for macro.

Definitely worth going to R4 - Been to all the places you mentioned, and R4 was some of the best diving I have done... Going back in May :)

Cost wise, look around and you can find some decent pricing (budget operators, or last minute promotions) - For instance my May liveaboard is costing US1800 for 8 nights out of Sorong. That's the same price as diving Sipadan in one of the nicer resorts if I recall
If I may inquire, what liveaboard are you going on in May? I am mulling over planning my first dive trip in Asia.....would like to know what is offered at that price range....Thanks!

I've been to Raja Ampat 4 times and headed for my 5th time in 4 years this October. I stay at the Sorido Resort in the Papua area. Next year I hope to plan the Putiraja for a week, then Sorido for a week then to Lembeh for another week!

I've been to the New Guinea subcontinent twice --contracted Dengue Fever in New Britain (Walindi) 2001; and Impetigo -entire body full skin infection- on a two week liveaboard from N. Sulawesi (Lembeh) to Halmaherah/Raja Ampat and W. Papua (Sorong) 2006.

Otherwise . . .Yeah it was worth it for the diving!:)

I've been to the New Guinea subcontinent twice --contracted Dengue Fever in New Britain (Walindi) 2001; and Impetigo -entire body full skin infection- on a two week liveaboard from N. Sulawesi (Lembeh) to Halmaherah/Raja Ampat and W. Papua (Sorong) 2006.

Otherwise . . .Yeah it was worth it for the diving!:)

YIKES....guess I've been lucky!....I'll will double up on Deet in October!

Back
Top Bottom