Raja Ampat December 2022

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

You got some nice footage! Glad you had good viz. on those mantas. In the series with 3, is that an oceanic manta and 2 (all black) reef mantas?

You did what might be seen as polar opposite options; a homestay (reputation for being very basic but cheap) and a liveaboard (more expensive but nicer). That gives you a diverse experience, having done both. I've only done the one liveaboard (Indo-Siren).

What did you think of the homestay option? Was there wifi? Was the heat and humidity onerous? Was there air conditioning? Was there a western style toilet or squatty potty? Toilet paper, bum gun or what for the bathroom? How was the food? Did you get much in the way of options?

Those are questions I imagine the budget constrained American diver would want to know. I see you're based out of Belgium.

If you go again, would you do another home stay/liveaboard split trip? Anything you wish you'd done different this trip in Dec. 2022?

Really interested if you could give more information about the experience in Tabari homestay, I was really considering to spent 10 days in September.

You got some nice footage! Glad you had good viz. on those mantas. In the series with 3, is that an oceanic manta and 2 (all black) reef mantas?

You did what might be seen as polar opposite options; a homestay (reputation for being very basic but cheap) and a liveaboard (more expensive but nicer). That gives you a diverse experience, having done both. I've only done the one liveaboard (Indo-Siren).

What did you think of the homestay option? Was there wifi? Was the heat and humidity onerous? Was there air conditioning? Was there a western style toilet or squatty potty? Toilet paper, bum gun or what for the bathroom? How was the food? Did you get much in the way of options?

Those are questions I imagine the budget constrained American diver would want to know. I see you're based out of Belgium.

If you go again, would you do another home stay/liveaboard split trip? Anything you wish you'd done different this trip in Dec. 2022?
I think all 3 are reef mantas. This was a shot from Manta Sandy in Dampier Strait. I have seen some oceanic mantas in Missool.
Actually I loved the homestay. It's not a luxury resort but the bungalows are nice and clean with a European toilet. No AC but I didn't missed it because there was always a nice breeze from the sea. And waking up with the mixed sound of waves and birds was a very nice experience to me, especially when you are used to wake up with the sound of sirenes and heavy traffic ;-)
It's a French couple who manages the business. Food is excellent and there is cold Bintang. Wifi was very poor. But I didn't mind. Once in a while I like an online detox :)
Diving was well organized with good local guides.
Although I prefer diving on a liveaboard I spend there 8 nice days. And I would certainly go back.
I was a bit disappointed with the boat: the Pearl of Papua. The positive side was that there were only 7 divers on board in stead of 14 when they are fully booked. Food was good and the crew very friendly.
But the boat is not very good maintained and what I didn't like was the traveling from Dampier Strait to Missooll and back during the daytime. We lost therefore 2 diving days. My previous live aboard did the trip at night. I think there are better options for a liveaboard.

I think all 3 are reef mantas. This was a shot from Manta Sandy in Dampier Strait. I have seen some oceanic mantas in Missool.
Actually I loved the homestay. It's not a luxury resort but the bungalows are nice and clean with a European toilet. No AC but I didn't missed it because there was always a nice breeze from the sea. And waking up with the mixed sound of waves and birds was a very nice experience to me, especially when you are used to wake up with the sound of sirenes and heavy traffic ;-)
It's a French couple who manages the business. Food is excellent and there is cold Bintang. Wifi was very poor. But I didn't mind. Once in a while I like an online detox :)
Diving was well organized with good local guides.
Although I prefer diving on a liveaboard I spend there 8 nice days. And I would certainly go back.
I was a bit disappointed with the boat: the Pearl of Papua. The positive side was that there were only 7 divers on board in stead of 14 when they are fully booked. Food was good and the crew very friendly.
But the boat is not very good maintained and what I didn't like was the traveling from Dampier Strait to Missooll and back during the daytime. We lost therefore 2 diving days. My previous live aboard did the trip at night. I think there are better options for a liveaboard.
Thanks a lot for your reply! How was the house reef? Which places did you went diving? Did they organized tours to more far away places? How long were the dives?

Thanks a lot for your reply! How was the house reef? Which places did you went diving? Did they organized tours to more far away places? How long were the dives?
The house reef is more suitable for snorkeling. There is even a dugong living there.
All the dives are by boat. All the popular divesits of Dampier Strait: Cap Kri, Sardine reef, Blue Magic, Melissa garden, Fam wall, Manta sandy, Manta ridge, Sawandarek...
All in about 20 to 40 minutes distance.
They have day excusions to Pianemo (with the iconic view over the small coral islands) and The Passage.
All dives are 1 hour. Mostly 2 dives a day. Sometimes 3.
With the liveaboard we dived 3 or 4 times a day (when we were not traveling).

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom