Trip Report Raja Ampat 2024

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Thanks Dan. What would be your minimal transit time suggestion for Jakarta? I assume we would have to go through customs in Jakarta before connecting to the domestic fight to MDC/Lembeh.
I would defer to Dan’s opinion —but my two cents are: I would say your optimal layover would be around 4-5 hours, where anything under 2 1/2 hours is starting to push your luck . With immigration and customs forms now mostly done in advance of arrival it doesn’t seem like it generally takes too long to get through customs and immigration my past couple of trips (maybe 30-45 minutes? ). The main reason you want a buffer is because flights to Sorong aren’t that frequent so you ideally give yourself some breathing room for various types of delays and issues. Sounds like you are taking Dan’s suggestion and flying Garuda which is has its domestic operations in the same terminal as the international flights (Terminal 3) . Batik operates out another terminal which can be a pain to get to for late night transfers. Please also note that for whatever reason Terminal 3 is very spread out . It is designed with gates only on one side of the building unlike most terminals I frequent that will have gates to your left and right as you walk through the terminal. (you tend to wind up with a very long walk to your gate—even with moving sidewalks it seems to take a while to get to the gate and I am a fast walker )

Like is said , others may have different views but those are mine . Some people will build a one night stay in Sorong ahead of their liveaboard . If you already have this buffer in your itinerary you might be more comfortable cutting close in Jakarta (if you have a one day buffer built in and something goes wrong with your flight you kill a day in a Jakarta airport hotel instead of a Sorong hotel ). I generally prefer to plan a few days of land-based diving in R4 ahead of my liveaboard so if something goes wrong I miss a day of land diving instead of trying to find some way to catch a liveaboard that has already sailed.

Thank you @cozcharlie. I don’t want to hyjack Dan’s thread so I put my updates in my original itinerary thread.

I actually will be transferring to Lembeh for a week of diving before the LOB but same idea. And since I have to collect my baggage and go through immigration anyway I have decided I will probably overnight in Jakarta then fly Garuda the next morning.

For travel from Lembeh to Sorong I have added a buffer day. My arrival back to Jakarta should be in the am with my flight back home that evening.

Thanks for this. Brought a tear to my eye. We were booked. Did not go because of covid. Have not yet been. Getting old.

Thanks for this. Brought a tear to my eye. We were booked. Did not go because of covid. Have not yet been. Getting old.

Yes. Do it while you still can. Raja Ampat (RA) is mostly back to what it was before Covid.

Here’s my trip report a few months before RA was closed due to Covid:

Here’s my trip report a few months after RA reopened:

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom