Rainy September?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

September is great, there are less people on each dive site everyday. The deals to the island are great compared to high season as well. I have been there in September or October the last 4 years and will be again this October as well. The weather is a crap shoot, we have dealt with some rain on trips, and then again last September it rained for a grand total of 10 minutes during the day the entire 8 days we were there.

I've been to Cozumel and other places in Q.Roo in supposed great weather months and those that are supposed to be questionable (either because of rain or nortes...). Weather happens. I've had great weather when it's supposed to be the rainiest time of the year, nortes months sooner then they're supposed be, weeks at a time in the winter without a norte or any strong winds... Go when it's convenient for you to go. Just like you can't guarantee perfect weather if you stay home, when you travel, you get what you get. Make the best of it.
Conversely, On our 12 day stay in May, it rained nearly every day and was overcast ~80% of the time. I have gone to Cozumel every May for the last 20+ years and the weather has always been sunny and dry, with maybe an occasional shower. Not this time.

It was no big deal.

My wife and I have been to coz 3 years in a row all in sept. and can only think of a few days that it rained. When it did it was brief and blew over.

First, why would rain make for bad diving?

Second, just because the rainfall averages are higher in the summer months a/k/a rainy season in the tropics does not mean it's raining all of the time or even over the entire island. The other months are extremely dry to begin with, so of course there will be spikes in the averages during rainy season. Even so, rain doesn't affect diving and our rain showers rarely last long. They are typically isolated, short and random! Yes, occasionally we'll have a complete cloud cover with rain all day, but when those come, we are usually in great need of them because we often go weeks and even months with no substantial rainfall.

And the bottom line is, if it rains you will get wet - isn't that what you are coming here for! :)

I was on a dive in Paraty, Brazil last year and the visibility was horrible (10'-15'), and the operator blamed it on recent heavy rains that brought the silt off of the nearby mountain sides. Not saying this is true, it may have been a ploy for the operator to entice me to return when the weather is better, and not saying this will happen in Coz....just sayin' :)

Well, I like a little rain to give the place a little wash down and freshen it up. A little sun to dry that out. Of course no too much sun that takes the rain and makes it really humid. Of course enough that the rain doesn't lay around and breed mosquitoes. But not so hot that you feel like you are going to actually melt walking on the sidewalk. And I prefer the sun at an angle so one side of the street has shade. I would like it to cool enough at night that I can open the windows and kill the AC as I think the AC is bad for my ears equalizing. Oh and wind. I like a nice breeze on the boat, so while the sun is warm, I don't get too hot. A little rain shower around the safety stop would be nice, as I think it is cool to look up at on the surface of the water.

Other than that, I am not particular.....

Thanks for the laugh Chief!

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom