Rainbow River February 6th.

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Reef

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
1000 - 2499
A few of us are heading up to Rainbow River on the 6th. We are diving at 10am, and 1pm with Crystal Lodge Dive Center.

Manatee tours, manatee swim, manatee dive, manatee snorkeling at Crystal Lodge Dive Center in Crystal River Florida

It's $10 a head per dive (minimum 8 people on the boat). I have 5 confirmed already.

The boat leaves out of KP Hole. There is a $3 per person fee entrance into the park.

Marion County Parks Map Detail

This a fun, easy dive. :)

Contact me if you have any questions.

YouTube - Rainbow River Dive

Reef, how did it go? I don't see any reports...That's such an easy and peaceful dive.

We had a very slow pleasant dive. There was 6 on the boat.

We really took our time, and decided to only do 1 tank.

Our group entered the water at 10:30, and got out at 1:05.

Good times. :)

Reef, does the weather affect vis on the Rainbow or is it pretty much the same all the time because it is spring fed? My wife and I are heading down from SC to do the morning snorkel trip and afternoon drift dive with Crystal Lodge this Sunday 2/21/10 and see the weather has not been too good down there the past week. You know, even if it is just the two us and we have to cover the entire minimum, it will be nice to get out of the winter weather and get wet again.

Reef, does the weather affect vis on the Rainbow or is it pretty much the same all the time because it is spring fed? My wife and I are heading down from SC to do the morning snorkel trip and afternoon drift dive with Crystal Lodge this Sunday 2/21/10 and see the weather has not been too good down there the past week. You know, even if it is just the two us and we have to cover the entire minimum, it will be nice to get out of the winter weather and get wet again.

There were heavy, heavy downpours the night before, and we had excellent viz. The river is pretty much one giant spring, so it shouldn't pose an issue. We have done Rainbow River many times without any issues. Have fun, and enjoy the river. :)

I dove KP Hole on Saturday. Surface temp was around 36-40 (it was 8am). Water was 70. Viz was good all things considered. The one thing that struck me was the lack of any trash or flotsam in the river. I even looked around in the grass banks on the bottom and didn't see anything that shouldn't have been there. That was just a nice, relaxing little drift dive. Turtles, schools of gar, bream, and nice thermal vents along the way.

Down the river from KP Hole, I found a mushroom anchor, a arrowhead spear tip, and a very old (broken neck) bottle. Even a river as clear as the rainbow can offer up some interesting finds if you are looking for them.
In the dive shop that took us out there were large fossils found on that river. (I didnt see any of those underwater but I did look much closer in the area he said they were found)

Wife and I did the Rainbow as planned yesterday. All I can say is WOW! what a great time. Going out of Crystal Lodge we were supposed to have 4 others with us but they were no shows. Dave took just to two of us up the river anyway. Basically had the place to ourselves for most of drift. The outflow from some of those bigger holes is amazing. My wife had a blast trying to get as deep is as she could and still hang on to the rocks. And ditto on the no trash comments. Just about as pristine as it gets. We will definitely be back.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/
https://xf2.scubaboard.com/community/forums/cave-diving.45/

Back
Top Bottom