Rainbow Reef Divers

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

divemedic1316

Contributor
Scuba Instructor
Divemaster
Reaction score
# of dives
200 - 499
I am goin to start and IDC in November. I am looking at both oceandiver adn rainbow reef. I am a padi divemaster, I am looking to relocate to the keys or south florida teach diving on a full time basis. I do have a trade, but I want a break from that.
Any word of advice.:coffee:

Ocean Divers has been in operation for quite some time. It may seem like I have a bias due to my alumni status, but full disclosure is that Ocean Divers far from lived up to their reputation during my stay. The only saving point for me is that I got their promises in writing before I paid! They have been running two cattle boats to Molasses Reef, the Duanne, the Bibb, and now the Spiegle Grove for many, many years and that means they have plenty of experience in what goes wrong in diving.

I like the fact that Ocean Divers has their course directors listed on their web site. Rainbow Reef mentions no course director by name. Even so, I would ask questions both by email and over the phone; how long have the CD's been CD's, how long have they been at that CDC, have they worked at other CDC's, will they be there when I am there (CD's take vacations too). Before you commit, get all their promises in writing!

I also like the fact that in the FAQ Ocean Divers tells you they do not dive in John Pennekamp State Park, whereas Rainbow Reef makes it sound like they dive Pennekamp. The way Key Largo is "built", dive sites are more than 3 miles off shore, because inside 3 miles the water is too shallow. Pennekamp State Park (3 miles and in) is a snorkel park and that full disclosure by OD says a little about their experience with experienced divers (we don't like to be misled). Rainbow Reef seems to use the Pennekamp ignorance factor as a marketing ploy.

Mostly, I really like that Dick Rutowski is the downstairs neighbor at Ocean Divers. Dick is the reason recreational divers use nitrox and his hyperbaric chamber medic classes bring a multitude of dive minds to the "round" table for the Sharkey's decompression stop (happy hour). Considering your SB handle, I can't see any reason for you not choosing Ocean Divers.

In case you didn't notice, I highly recommend every dive pro candidate get every detail and promise IN WRITING!

Hey thanks for the input. I wrote the oringal thread in a hurry and did not check it, sorry about the bad english. OK, well this presents quite an issue. I did speak with rainbow reef today and it sounded good. I won't go into details but it really sounded good! Now you say get everthing in writing? How might one go about making that a deal breaker any tips? Also yea I am State of Califronia Paramedic. The main purpose of going to IDC and becoming a PADI insturctor is to move into south florida. I will transfer my medic cert to florida but I wanted to spend a year just diving and instructing, then look into nursing school in florida. (more money). Now I dont need 4,000 month income just a couple grand to pay my way. Since you are a graduate of Oceandivers and you have been in the key largo area, would you say it is possible to make it is a Scuba Instructor in the keys. I was aware of the hyperbaric chamber and it was kinda of an selling point to me, but medicine to me is something I do everyday so it is not to big of deal. Like I said, I am not looking to come back to so-cal after the IDC so any advice would be aprrecited. I dove oahu in july, it was ok. hows it now.

A couple grand a month in Key Largo EVERY month may be hard to do as an instructor. If you are thinking about working as a medic, remember that Key Largo EMS is volunteer based, but do have a some paid staff.

Pat

Did my IDC with them in 2005, Art and Simon were the Course Directors then. No complaints.Boats just feet from the classroom.Nice bar and grill up stairs :)

I would not recommend Rainbow Reef for many courses. For IDC there is very little involvement from Rainbow Reef Dive Shop. It is mainly left to the course director. They do not have the classroom facilities that other operators in Largo have. I would consider Horizon Divers. Their course director worked with Rainbow Reef for some time. There are many other options in Largo. I did my divemaster with Rainbow and it was lacking. Our 20 skill set was more like 5. They have two shops and may require that you drive from Largo to Islamorada and back. A car would be very wise. Don't due their rental housing unless you want a constant party.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom