Rainbow Reef Divers

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Reaction score
# of dives
50 - 99
I am planning a family dive vacation that will include four days in Islamorada. My wife, son and I were certified last summer and are looking forward to some fun diving. I would like to stay away from cattle boats plus have the flexibility to dive a variety of different sites. I have seen alot of good comments about Conch Republic Divers and plan to give them a try. I heard about Rainbow Reef Divers in Islamorada and was wondering if anyone has used them? If so, what did you think?

Looking forward to some good diving!!

3TankDivers:
I am planning a family dive vacation that will include four days in Islamorada. My wife, son and I were certified last summer and are looking forward to some fun diving. I would like to stay away from cattle boats plus have the flexibility to dive a variety of different sites. I have seen alot of good comments about Conch Republic Divers and plan to give them a try. I heard about Rainbow Reef Divers in Islamorada and was wondering if anyone has used them? If so, what did you think?

Looking forward to some good diving!!

Stick to Conch Republic Divers, RR is a cattle boat and they allow smokers on board. As a non-smoker this sucks.

Alex

AlexRodriguez:
Stick to Conch Republic Divers, RR is a cattle boat and they allow smokers on board. As a non-smoker this sucks.

Alex

hmmm... you know.. I've never seen a boat advertise it was 'non smoking' though. As a non smoker I agree though that having smokers on board can 'suck'. While this isn't always true, but lots of smokers try not to bother us 'non smokers' by going to the back of the boat (downwind when moving).

However, with all that said, it's not acceptable to me for a smoker to light up on someone elses boat at all w/o asking. If it was a gasoline boat then fuel vapor could be an explosive risk with people smoking.

Hi gang,

Once again, Mike here for NYC. I have been diving with Rainbow Reef before, and I'll admit I have been friends with the owner for over 10 years. So let me just say this as objectively as possible and set the record straight as a few of the reponses on here have incorrect information.

1. My friend would be the first to say that both Conch Republic and Key Dives (the old bud and mary's) are fine operations and you can dive with them if you choose.

2. One of the Rainbow Reef boats in Islamorada is a 6 pack, and other one holds 10 divers, if this qualifies as a cattle boat, then you better dive with someone who goes out on a jet-ski. The poster was refering to Rainbow Reef's Key Largo boats, of which one is a 40 foot vessel that holds 24 divers, and the other is an Island Hopper and it carries 12.

3. The smoking policy Rainbow Reef has is as follows: They ask you not to smoke, however if you must, they ask that you do it in a discreet manner so as to not affect any other customers. They reserve the right to ask you to extinguish the cigarette if it becomes a problem.

4. All the Rainbow Reef vessels are run by diesel fuel, with the exception of the 6 pack. While I agree that gas fumes are the only fuel (choosing between gasoline and diesel) that has the possibility to ignite, I have yet to hear about any boaters, many who are fisherman and smoke a carton a day, spontaneously exploding out on the water in their gas powered vessels.

5. If you truly want to dive Islamorada, Key Dives, Rainbow Reef, Holiday Isle and Ocean Quest are the only "all Islamorada" operators that currently exist.

Hope this was helpful, but it's probably too late judging by the date of your post.

RainbowReefer:
2. One of the Rainbow Reef boats in Islamorada is a 6 pack, and other one holds 10 divers, if this qualifies as a cattle boat, then you better dive with someone who goes out on a jet-ski. The poster was refering to Rainbow Reef's Key Largo boats, of which one is a 40 foot vessel that holds 24 divers, and the other is an Island Hopper and it carries 12.

I was referring to boat the handles the 24 divers, while it may be capable of handling 24 divers, when it is at the 24 diver limit its a cattle boat.

RainbowReefer:
3. The smoking policy Rainbow Reef has is as follows: They ask you not to smoke, however if you must, they ask that you do it in a discreet manner so as to not affect any other customers. They reserve the right to ask you to extinguish the cigarette if it becomes a problem.

This is a joke, its basically no policy at all. You can either smoke or not, you can't have it both ways.

I did my IDC with Rainbow Reef,Whilst on either of the boats they had in the water at the time I found the head not working and was told if I needed to get rid of body waste to go in my wetsuit,make of that what you will.I managed to wait till I got to land before having a to sit down to rid myself of what my no longer needed.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/
https://xf2.scubaboard.com/community/forums/cave-diving.45/

Back
Top Bottom