Rainbow Reef Dive Center buys Ocean Divers

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Add a drawbridge/zipline/catapult??? across the canal. So if you are diving RR and OD the same day it is quick to get from one to the other. Also the RR folks can quickly hop over to get fish tacos for lunch. Said only slightly in jest. :) I have dove OD and the old Horizon on the same day more than once and the connection was not always convenient.

More seriously it would be nice if dive packages can be split between the two locations.

Steve, We are looking into an underwater tunnel made from acrylic so that you can watch the fish swim by as you make your way between the 2 locations.. Haha. Obviously, saying that in jest, but it certainly would be cool, we'd probably try it if I actually thought we could get the permit from Monroe County..

As for being able to use a package at both locations, you absolutely can do that, we will be running all the same computer, and reservations systems, so effectively it doesn't matter which side of the canal you are on, we get you onto the trips you want to be on. That being said, we won't intentionally schedule you on the same day, in the morning on one side of the canal, and in the PM on the other side of the canal. So then that being said, it will be possible to go between the sides of the canal, but we will inform you that you'll need to do it based on the locations or trip you are choosing, make sure you are ok with it, and then everyone is on the same page. We are going to try to schedule the boats compatible so that you won't need to move from one side to the other most of the time, however if you just choose to dive the Spiegel Grove in the AM, and that trip happens to be on the OD side, and then you wanted to dive the Christ Statue in the PM, and that happened to be on the RRDC side, we don't mind if you do that, but we'd make sure you know where you need to be, and that would actually be the customer electing to do it, because on the OD side, for example, they didn't want to be on any of the 3 trips/locations that PM, and prefered a trip or location on the RRDC side. Does that make sense? If I lost you or explained the intention unclearly, then, basically we will schedule everything we can so no one has to move sides, unless they want to.

As a side note to any OD customers who hold trip cards, tank fill cards, gift certificates or whatever, we will honor any and all of those going forward, so that will be able to use them. We have our own loyalty programs so we may switch you over to them after that, but anything you have OD will work until it's done or expired as it normally would have been.

D.J. @ Rainbow Reef

To clarify:

RR bought OD. You will only be using the oceanside location and the boats from that location. You did not absorb the Bayside location as well? What about their boats, are they part of your fleet now too? Or RR only purchased the OD Oceanside and their assets? So in fact the two OD facilities were not part of the buy out, just one of them.

If I understood that correctly, then whom now owns the old OD Bayside location and assets?

Edit: Thanks for the moderation earlier. It was needed.

I have dove OD and the old Horizon on the same day more than once and the connection was not always convenient.

Dude it's like a 2 minute drive around the canal I'm sure they'll wait for you if you happen to be the one person holding up the boat which is highly unlikely.

Last edited:
Dude it's like a 2 minute drive around I'm sure they'll wait for you if you happen to be the one person holding up the boat which is highly unlikely.

On more than one multiday trip I have parked the car at the motel/hotel and never got in it until time for the trip back to MIA. In the past I have just walked it which is not terrible but a lot more than 2 minutes. Being able to go days without driving is part of the charm of mile post 100 area.

To clarify:

RR bought OD. You will only be using the oceanside location and the boats from that location. You did not absorb the Bayside location as well? What about their boats, are they part of your fleet now too? Or RR only purchased the OD Oceanside and their assets? So in fact the two OD facilities were not part of the buy out, just one of them.

If I understood that correctly, then whom now owns the old OD Bayside location and assets?

Edit: Thanks for the moderation earlier. It was needed.

Swimlikethefish,

You are correct. We are only purchasing everything on the ocean side. (boats, shop, compressors, rental gear etc)

Someone else is buying the bayside part of the operation and boats in a separate deal, and I believe that will be called emotion watersports or something like that.

D.J. @ Rainbow Reef

On more than one multiday trip I have parked the car at the motel/hotel and never got in it until time for the trip back to MIA. In the past I have just walked it which is not terrible but a lot more than 2 minutes. Being able to go days without driving is part of the charm of mile post 100 area.

Yeah walking around the canal is going to take a lot longer than a 2 minute car ride.

Maybe Rainbow Reef can provide a shuttle as part of their expansion for divers without vehicles who are staying on one side of the canal?.

Either a van to drive around, or a boat from one side to the other.The boat could be nonpowered and pulled across with a pulley and rope system.

Or maybe a Tram that runs an announcement loop about all the great dive trips offered by your company. That gives it more of a Disney World effect and it's good advertising for the 20 seconds the Tram would be on US 1 maybe up to a minute depending on traffic. "Hi folks welcome to Rainbow Reef Dive Center, we're headed to the other side of the canal to our other location where we will be departing for an afternoon of awesome wreck dives. Please keep your hands and feet inside the Tram at all times and watch your small children".

Or any returning morning divers could be dropped at the opposite side if they're got dives scheduled there.

Or maybe a folding pedestrian bridge but this is starting to get complicated.

Last edited:
Maybe Rainbow Reef can provide a shuttle as part of their expansion for divers without vehicles who are staying on one side of the canal?.

Either a van to drive around, or a boat from one side to the other.The boat could be nonpowered and pulled across with a pulley and rope system.

Or any returning morning divers could be dropped at the opposite side if they're got dives scheduled there.

Or maybe a folding pedestrian bridge but this is starting to get complicated.

Shuttle is a good idea. Could also by used by RR folks craving a fish taco on the other side for lunch. Sometimes folks are dropped off while other family uses car for shopping or sight seeing. Being able to be dropped off on either side on return is another good idea.

Shuttle is a good idea.

I edited my post (after you quoted it) to include an even better idea which is a Tram ride. Maybe they can even open a small amusement park with a rollercoaster but I'm really getting ahead of myself here.

I edited my post (after you quoted it) to include an even better idea which is a Tram ride. Maybe they can even open a small amusement park with a rollercoaster but I'm really getting ahead of myself here.

Cute.

Or find some broke person (easy to do near a dive op) with a car/jeep/gulf cart. Given him/her/it an official T-shirt and let them charge $2 a rider with tip option each way. On a 90 degree day I would happily pay a couple bucks to not do the walk carrying a bag.

Or find some broke person (easy to do near a dive op) with a car/jeep/gulf cart.

Or train some of the ever present manatees in the canal to line up and the diver can simply hop from one to the next until they reach the other side.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/
https://xf2.scubaboard.com/community/forums/cave-diving.45/

Back
Top Bottom