Rain

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

It managed to not rain much while we were on the boat, but non-stop most of the time we were on land during our vacation. I just figured that meant I should get some really long naps.

The good thing about rain in Cozumel is that it doesn't mess up the vis underwater because there is no runoff. Go to an island that is loose soil rather than Cozumel rock-ironshore and you will see what I mean.

Mstevens,

What sites would those be...? I am curious as I will be there in 2 weeks and may have the same weather issues that are currently underway.

Looking at the 10 day forecast right now, all 10 days say thunderstorms :shocked2::(:(:(. I'll be in Playa the 6th-12th, this totally sucks. Was planning on diving Playa, Coz, and the cenotes. Looks like more cenote diving now!

How bad has it been? Are boats still going out? Do you expect it to get worse or is it just on and off throughout the day? Diving with Tank-Ha, so the plan was to take their boat to Coz… hopefully that can still happen!

Rain does not affect the diving, just the trip there and back and the SI if the boat does not have a waterproof cover and a front windscreen. A poncho would have been very helpful.

That's what I like to hear! I'm cool with a little rain… hell, even a lot of it - but I was a little worried about the surface conditions being too rough for the boats. Words like thunderstorms and tropical storm make me nervous!

What sites would those be...?

It's variable, unpredictable, and no basis for choosing a site on a given day, since you won't know until you're underwater if it's happening or not.

I've seen it due to runoff at Colombia Shallow and Paso del Cedral. It's actually kind of cool because the turbidity is the result of fresh water mixing with salt water, resulting in a swirly effect. It dropped our vis to 100 feet or possibly even less.

---------- Post added June 4th, 2014 at 10:43 PM ----------

all 10 days say thunderstorms

Yeah, Cozumel has a Tropical Monsoon Climate (Köppen Am) and the rainy season runs from June to October. The forecast is going to include some chance of thunderstorms for nearly that entire time. That doesn't mean it's going to rain the whole time.

the plan was to take their boat to Coz… hopefully that can still happen!

I personally would not make the crossing on a dive boat under any circumstances.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom