Trip Report Atlantis Dumaguete Review

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

pinkerton

Registered
Reaction score
# of dives
1000 - 2499
We arrived after a Raja Ampat cruise in Indonesia.

Dive staff met us at the airport and transferred us and our luggage to a van and then the resort. When we arrived they had a lovely fruit plate and a welcoming neck/upper back massage.

The foliage and landscaping are really pretty and the grounds are well kept up.

Our ocean front room was very clean and nice. There was daily housekeeping and a refillable water bottle. We had a porch with chairs and a drying rack. There were 4 different toiletry products in very small bottles, a pet peeve of mine. Huge waste of plastic.

The food was really, really good. I could write a book about the food. Breakfast started with a fresh fruit plate and juice followed by our choice from an extensive menu. Lunch and dinner were posted on a chalk board. Choice from 2 appetizers and 3 mains. Always a fresh bread basket and desert. Breads are baked on site and were amazing.

The bar was well stocked with knowledgeable bar tenders and a highlighted drink of the day.

All staff were friendly and helpful and called us by name from the day we arrived.

We took advantage of the well priced spa services and were very pleased.

The large dive shop is well equipped with cubbies and hanging areas, rinse tanks, briefing area, and many tanks. We analyzed our nitrox tanks and labeled them, rinsed our suits, and they took care of everything else.
There was a beautiful, air conditioned camera room with many charging stations. Staff transported cameras to and from the boats.

There are 2 pangas and 3 smaller boats for diving. Dive sites were not far. Dive staff handled all of our gear. We came back to the resort between dives and had cookies. The diving was mostly muck with a little reef. Our guide was amazing and we saw many of the unique critters this area is known for. It was a macro photographer's dream. We were disappointed in the visibility on all dives. We did not have good weather (rain and choppy water) which probably contributed.

We took a day trip to Apo Island. There were only 5 of us on the big panga. We did 3 really nice dives. A chef came along with us and prepared an awesome lunch in spite of deteriorating weather. By the time we left we were seriously rocking and rolling with wind and spray. Thankfully the large Panga had a cabin we could duck in to. It was a rough ride and we were grateful to our experienced captain and crew.

On our last day we went to snorkel with the whale sharks at Oslob. Although it's a controlled environment we loved seeing the whale sharks up close. Atlantis goes regularly so there was an established routine, van, ferry, van, viewing, lunch, and return. It was a fun and organized day.

The food was really, really good. I could write a book about the food. Breakfast started with a fresh fruit plate and juice followed by our choice from an extensive menu. Lunch and dinner were posted on a chalk board. Choice from 2 appetizers and 3 mains. Always a fresh bread basket and desert. Breads are baked on site and were amazing.
I completely agree with you, the food I had in Atlantis was great which is unexpected in the Philippines, I even wrote in my last report it was some of the best food I've be served in a dive resort (if not the best).
I think it's the perfect meal choice : no buffet nor an extensive menu card but rather a small selection of starter/mains/desserts that changes everyday up to what is available fresh from the market.

I was considering Dumaguete for my next trip. I have never been there. How long did you stay at Atlantis? I like to stay a week in one place, in your opinion would that be too long? It would include a trip to apo.

I spent a day trip on apo two weeks ago, went there from siquijor. Definitely ready to do at least one more day there.

Thanks for the trip report. When I've read of the Atlantis Resorts in Puerto Galera and Dumaguete in the past, the impression I inferred was they could be summed up as 'very nice for a high price.' Your description of the food helps explain something of the value they deliver (well, that and the welcoming neck and upper back massage); I take it this is something of a luxury option.

Sorry the weather didn't cooperate well. I've never been to the Philippines; had one liveaboard trip to Raja Ampat (which did you use?). Raja Ampat had frequent current on my trip (which I don't think was unusual); how much was current an issue on your Dumaguete trip? People sometimes express trepidation when considering a Raja Ampat (or especially Komodo) trip out of concern over currents; I'd like to get a sense how easy the diving was.

The diving was mostly muck with a little reef. Our guide was amazing and we saw many of the unique critters this area is known for.
Appreciate you mentioning this. I wonder if it's typical for Dumaguete? If so, this bit may be a key discriminator between people who'd want to pick this destination and those who wouldn't.

Anilao + Puerto Galera make a good two centers diving trip. The transfer is dead easy and you cannot ask for a more diversified environment between the two.
In Anilao you are more or less restricted by the resort while it is the complete opposite in PG. Diving is also difference, you can even choose when to dive........

Southern Leyte should be at the top of the list for any divers.

I was considering Dumaguete for my next trip. I have never been there. How long did you stay at Atlantis? I like to stay a week in one place, in your opinion would that be too long? It would include a trip to apo.

I spent a day trip on apo two weeks ago, went there from siquijor. Definitely ready to do at least one more day there.
A week is definitely not too long. Especially if you are in to macro photography!

We stayed a week. We only dove 2 morning dives as we had just come off of a live aboard and wanted some down time. Definitely not too long especially if you are in to macro.

Thanks for the trip report. When I've read of the Atlantis Resorts in Puerto Galera and Dumaguete in the past, the impression I inferred was they could be summed up as 'very nice for a high price.' Your description of the food helps explain something of the value they deliver (well, that and the welcoming neck and upper back massage); I take it this is something of a luxury option.

Sorry the weather didn't cooperate well. I've never been to the Philippines; had one liveaboard trip to Raja Ampat (which did you use?). Raja Ampat had frequent current on my trip (which I don't think was unusual); how much was current an issue on your Dumaguete trip? People sometimes express trepidation when considering a Raja Ampat (or especially Komodo) trip out of concern over currents; I'd like to get a sense how easy the diving was.

Appreciate you mentioning this. I wonder if it's typical for Dumaguete? If so, this bit may be a key discriminator between people who'd want to pick this destination and those who wouldn't.
Check out my Raja Report on the Ambai. We did have some current but certainly not every dive.

Dumaguete is well known for muck diving. Our friends who are more into reefs and corals were not as happy as we were.

Back
Top Bottom