Rain Statistics

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Pedge:
By "E-beach", do you mean Ewa Beach? If so, whereabouts? We're moving there in 2007, and would love any info you may have-thanks!:D

Rock is talking about Electric Beach (E beach or Kahe Point-same area). Are you military moving or civilian? Ewa just recently had some flooding and we are due for lots more rain. Make sure to buy flood insurance.

Are we supposed to be building an ark or something?.....12:34 East Honolulu, We might have a little problem here. I know somebody's house is flooding down in Aina Haina right now. maybe three inches in the last 30 minutes? Is that possible? There are not raindrops, just one blob of water coming down. I don't know if i have ever seen this much water falling from the sky. Weird, cause no wind. Remind me to get some cintapede scoop from Tim because that will be the next thing, is that they all come crawling into my house like a horror flick.

ch0ppersrule:
Rock is talking about Electric Beach (E beach or Kahe Point-same area). Are you military moving or civilian? Ewa just recently had some flooding and we are due for lots more rain. Make sure to buy flood insurance.
Thanks for the info-we dove Electric Beach a few years ago. We're civilian, moving to Ocean Pointe. I hadn't heard about any flooding in Ewa-how bad?

There one day and gone the next

They were saying that the area doesn't have the proper drainage...the area was built before it was mandatory

Tom Winters:
Fishb0y - every time you drive over that accursed Chick Clary bridge, you drive over the site of my former rentfree shipyard-in-paradise.
Sorry about that... I used to keep my sailboat at the Marina, but it became a hastle after 9/11 to get out of the harbor.

Pedge:
Not sure what you mean...:huh:

They showed it on the news...The area was flooded one day and the next day all the water was gone...

BTW...raining again today...:frown:

catherine96821:
Remind me to get some cintapede scoop from Tim because that will be the next thing, is that they all come crawling into my house like a horror flick.

:11:

Hey Catherine, fwiw - very few things will kill centipedes outright. If you set off a "bug bomb" in your house they will usually come out a few days later acting drunk... not dead, but easier to step on (or better yet hit with a hammer). One exterminator told me the best thing for them is sticky traps... though I had one get stuck on a sticky trap once, and I watched him pull himself off and crawl away (only to meet "mr. shoe") If it helps, one of their favorite foods is roaches, so if you kill the roaches, it helps with the centipedes. Impossible to get rid of them though I know. Also centipedes are "territorial" so you usually only find one large one in a given area, unless they are mating (then find the nest quick as dozens will soon be upon you) Also if you've never been bit by one before watch yourself for the first 24 hrs and don't stay by yourself as the venim can take up to a day to work, and for those who are allergic to them, it usually goes after the respitory system, making it hard to breathe (learned that from the doc when my brother got bit the first time and wound up in the ER)

The best deterent I've found so far however has been toads. About 1x each year I'll bring in a load of 12-20 toads and release them on the property. They eat the baby centipedes and scorpions (chickens do too, but toads are much quieter).

I really wish I didn't have so much experience with centipedes... none of it good either :wink: But it'll make for a really good story next time I feel like writing a whole bunch :D

Aloha, Tim

kidspot:
The best deterent I've found so far however has been toads. About 1x each year I'll bring in a load of 12-20 toads and release them on the property. They eat the baby centipedes and scorpions (chickens do too, but toads are much quieter).

Ugh - I have a phobia of lizards, frogs and toads. I would take a centipede over those any day - though they are nasty things.

The last time I saw a centipede, it was crawling across my bedroom floor a few days after Christmas. I've never ever seen a centipede inside my house before - I have to figure it hitched a ride on one of the bosai plants my brother in law brought over on Christmas. I grabbed it and flushed it down the toilet. Well, it took a couple of flushes - they can swim.

As far as their sting - Tim's not exaggerating. My dad has a small round scar on his torso (about the diameter of a cigarette) that he got as a kid when a centipede crawled into bed with him and stung him.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom