railroad cars at Porteau

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Henry

Contributor
Reaction score
North Vancouver, British Columbia, Canada
# of dives
On Sat, three of us set out to find the rail road cars at Porteau. We dropped in half way to the NAkaya due to a heavy surface current. Swam out under water the rest of the way on a bearing that was half way between the Nakaya bouy and the rocks.

When we got to the end of the sandy bay and the large boulders had begun, we must have been just past the point that is visible from the parking lot. From there the terrain dropped off quickly.

We followed the terrain out at about 70 feet until we came to an obvious disruption in the large boulders. We assume this was from the cars slidingdown the slope. From there we dropped quickly down to 130 feet and saw several heavily encrusted rail road ties. The vis spectacular and we could see well past where we were but we didn't see any cars or anything that resembled wreckage. We will have to go back again and keep looking.

Be fore warned. We were all on twins and had back up deco plans. This dive is not advised on singles due to depth and the long swim out and back (unless you entered by the road side parking lot). The depth were also based on a fairly low tide.

have fun
Henry

Hey Henry. How deep did you guys get? Did you stop at 130 or keep going? I've heard about these cars quite a bit but was told there isn't much left other then some scrap metal and some wheels. I seem to recall something about 170' being where they were found.

bcsean:
Hey Henry. How deep did you guys get? Did you stop at 130 or keep going? I've heard about these cars quite a bit but was told there isn't much left other then some scrap metal and some wheels. I seem to recall something about 170' being where they were found.

Our plan was 130 I had 127, Brent had 129 and Mike had 124 feet. It's steep right to 130 and I can see how the wreck would slide further down the slope. A number of years ago it was only at 90 feet. So I don't really know. I would not be surprised that it's at 170.

I will have to go back and confirm that it's not at 130 before I go further. Which will also require more planning etc. You should come and put the new twins to use. ;-)

Henry

Just give me a shout and some advance notice. I'll be there. Got the backgas now and need to go use it.

Wow sounds like cool dive was there any current? I am just starting to do my tek course so by the end of the summer I would like to try and find the wreck. Some guys I know tried to find it last summer but they went down by the point. They did not find it. What was your compass heading, or does the bottom lead you to the possible sight of the mystery train wreck? Looking forward to finding it

RTBCAT:
Wow sounds like cool dive was there any current? I am just starting to do my tek course so by the end of the summer I would like to try and find the wreck. Some guys I know tried to find it last summer but they went down by the point. They did not find it. What was your compass heading, or does the bottom lead you to the possible sight of the mystery train wreck? Looking forward to finding it

There were some surface current as we swam out to the Nakaya. We ended up dropping just shy of the buoy because we weren't making any head way.

We took a bearing that was between the buoy and the rocks. I don't remember the heading. If you read my original post. All the details that I can provide is already there.

Henry

Back
Top Bottom