Rafting the Ocoee

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

bennedc

Contributor
Reaction score
Hey! Has anyone rafted the Ocoee full river trip? I was wondering what outfitter you used and what the trip was like. I did the Nantahala 1/2 river when I was a kid and want to do the full Ocoee with the hubby. Got anything to share?

I lived in Atlanta for from 1998 to 2001. While there I took 2 trips on the Ocoee. They were a blast - lots of run. Unfortunately, I don't remember the name of the outfitter. There are 2 sections you can raft - the middle & the lower. I recommend doing both. The middle is where the 1996 Olympic white water events were held. It's cool to run through the set of hydraulics know as Olymipc Park. There are bleachers on the river bank in that section and, of course, the 5 olympic rings.

I know some outfitters have camping on their grounds. I do not recommend it. The bugs and humidity are rough in mid July.

Those 2 trips were the only white water rafting I've ever done. So, I can't comapre the river to anything else. I can tell you a great time was had by all the guys & girls in my group.

Have a great trip & let us know how it goes

Actually the previous poster is wrong. The Upper section of the Ocoee is the part they used for the 1996 Olympics. It's fun to run but only if you have some previous rafting experience. The middle section is still fun with lots of Class III and III+ rapids to run. Fun and challenging without being terrifying. I would suggest going with the Nantahala Outdoor Center. They have a great reputation and safety record. They have (for the most part) well trained and friendly guides. Have Fun!

Nantahala Outdoor Center was very good. We used them. Had a great guide and a good time. Several other outfitters are good also.

I highly reccomend reservations with them or any of them. Weekends fill up. For example if you don't have them for 4th of July weekend by now, you might not get to go.

As for the sections, typically they don't "turn the water on" for the part used during the olympics. I apparantly cost TVA too much money to divert water there instead of the to the powe plant. So chances of rafting it are few. A huge amount of government money was spent on the olympic center and it's a shame it's hardly ever used... a real shame.

Ive never rafted it , but Ive kayaked it 99-03 at least once a year( sometimes twice ), I love that place. Its quite a drive from here so I havent been back in a few years ( plus Ive taken up new hobbies " SCUBA, SCUBA ")

Probably did it twice a year over a 12 year period. That was one of the favorite weekend outings for the Boy Scout troop I worked with in the Atlanta area and since I got to know the owner of one of the river outfitter groups the wife and I ended up floating down ourselves now and then.

We used an outfitter called Eagle Adventures. Here is a link to their website.

http://www.eagleadventures.com/

The owners name (when we used this outfit) was David Scott. I did the map he uses on his website back in the 90's when were going up there regularly. David used to own an outdoor goods store down in the Atlanta area and is a quality guy. If you end up going this route tell him that Mark Jernigan from Marietta, GA said "HEY".

'Slogger

Started paddling the Ocoee back in '74, '75 or whenever they started running water down it again. Used to drive by the "O" all the time going to the Nantahala.

Started heading up 64 early one morning and there was water in the river bed. Thought I'd died and gone to heaven. Drove up to the put in and had at it. It was fantastic !!!! Back in the "old days" you had to put in right at the dam, do an upstream ferry to river left, do a hard hanging brace to do a turn into the first run. If ya missed it you were screwed!!!

But, more to the point. The NOC has the longest experience of any of the outfitters on the river. Can't go wrong with using them.

High Country Outfitters has been around up there for a long time, also.

the K-ayaker

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom