Quiz - Physics - Volume at Depth

At 30m/99ft of salt water a flexible container is filled to only 25% of its capacity. If this conta

• a. The volume will be the same at both depths.

• b. The air volume will increase by 33%.

• c. The air volume will double.

• d. The air volume will decrease by 3/4.

Results are only viewable after voting.

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Am I correct in this is what you must do if it's to be a depth that is not exactly 2 ata or 4 ata, etc.--like "what will the volume be at 46 fsw"? I suppose if you were a genius with numbers you may do it in your head.

If you convert to metric, no genius necessary.

If you convert to metric, no genius necessary.
Don't know about that. "What will the volume be if you take it to 12 meters"? Same problem, no? 12 meters is not a "round number" like 10 or 20 meters (1, 2 ata).

Don't know about that. "What will the volume be if you take it to 12 meters"? Same problem, no? 12 meters is not a "round number" like 10 or 20 meters (1, 2 ata).
At 12 meters the pressure is 2.2 ATA.
So 1 liter at 12 meters will become 2.2 liters at surface. No calculator required, with metric units you can do it easily in your brain.

You answered your own question. (Almost). Metric truly is simple.

One way to do this kind of problem is to break it into two parts: first take the object to the surface, then as a new problem take that volume back down to the final depth.
Another way is to remember that P1V1 = P2V2. Simple as that.

At 12 meters the pressure is 2.2 ATA.
So 1 liter at 12 meters will become 2.2 liters at surface. No calculator required, with metric units you can do it easily in your brain.
Yes, but how do you know 12 meters is 2.2 ATA? You obviously know that 10 meters is 2 ATA, 20 meters is 3 ATA-- like 33 feet & 66 feet imperial.
You don't know what 37 feet is, just like you don't know what 17 meters is-- unless you do calculations or actually have these figures memorized.

I think I now follow you--
So, 12 meter is 2.2 ATA because you know that 10 meters is 2 ATA then just add the .2.--= 2.2 ATA.
With 17 meters, 10 meters is 2 ATA then just add the .7. -- = 2.7 ATA.
Am I correct? If so, I see how it's easier than imperial.

how do you know 12 meters is 2.2 ATA?
Because we know that 10 meters is roughly 1 AtmG, 15 meters is roughly 1.5 AtmG and 20 meters is roughly 2 AtmG. And ATA = AtmG + 1.

Yes, but how do you know 12 meters is 2.2 ATA? You obviously know that 10 meters is 2 ATA, 20 meters is 3 ATA-- like 33 feet & 66 feet imperial.
You don't know what 37 feet is, just like you don't know what 17 meters is-- unless you do calculations or actually have these figures memorized.

So, 12 meter is 2.2 ATA because you know that 10 meters is 2 ATA then just add the .2.--= 2.2 ATA.
You just divide by ten and add 1.

But yea your method is the way one can remember easily in a pinch.

Exactly, you are correct. I can give you the pressure in bar at any depth in meters. I just divide by 10, then add 1 (the atmospheric pressure).
Please consider that in SI the following approximate equalities are explicitly declared to be acceptable:
1 bar = 1 ata = 1 kgf/cm2 = 10m of water column.
This makes life much easier...

I misread and voted wrong--what happened to the "change vote" option?

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom