Quiz - 24 - Diving Knowledge Workbook - Diving Physiology

What is the device used to detect silent bubbles?

• a. x-ray

• b. MRI

• c. CT scan

• d. Doppler Ultrasound Flowmeter

Results are only viewable after voting.

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Pedro Burrito

Staff member
ScubaBoard Supporter
Scuba Instructor
Divemaster
Reaction score
# of dives
5000 - ∞
From the Diving Physiology Section of the PADI Diving Knowledge Workbook Version 2.02 © PADI 2009:

Objective 2.8 - Define the term "silent bubbles" as it relates to decompression sickness.

Question 2

What is the device used to detect silent bubbles?

a. x-ray

b. MRI

c. CT scan

d. Doppler Ultrasound Flowmeter

I will post a daily question from my exams to help newer divers and to encourage more experienced divers to interact gracefully and helpfully with the newer divers.

Reminder - this is a post in the Basic Forum and it is a green zone. Please be nice and on topic.

Thank you for your patience while we try to give people something to discuss other than Covid-19 and/or Politics. I will post the answer covered by the spoiler tag later today.

Doppler ultrasound flow meter detects residual nitrogen in the blood stream. This occurs as a result of diving on air.

@Blueringocto_73 It's a bit early for a spoiler.
Agree. But let's face it, 3 of the answers are things most of us (oldsters at least) have had in a hospital.
This is a clear question. Maybe even too clear. Maybe that's why they try to make some a bit less clear.....to make you think....

Side note- This may be one of those bits of info. that is neat to know, but which ALMOST no divers (pro or not) would have any practical use for.

Doppler ultrasound flow meter detects residual nitrogen in the blood stream. This occurs as a result of diving on air.
Doppler ultrasound detects bubbles in the bloodstream after breathing air, nitrox, trimix. Sorry, this was not a spoiler, just wrong

OK that rings true after researching more

Doppler ultrasound detects bubbles in the bloodstream after breathing air, nitrox, trimix. Sorry, this was not a spoiler, just wrong

Since the answer has been given away.

As an FYI - actually more of useless trival...

A layman will have no idea of the differences between X-Ray, Gamma-Ray and Neutron, Radiography equipment, generally referring them all as X-Ray machines, where the correct term would be radiographic equipment

N-Ray could easily see these silent bubbles, sin unlike X- and Gamma which are attenuated by material desisity N- Rays aren't. N-Rays are attenuated by materials of little density. O-rings in a thick metal component for instance are easily imaged for instance

Gas bubbles in a casting even the meniscus within the delivery tube of an aerosol can, all easily imaged - where as other methods like ultrasound may not have the ability nor resolution to image these defects within the material substrate. I was doing this 20 years ago

Practically speaking it would be easy to image silent bubbles in a person with N-ray - The fact that it might kill them is a secondary issue and perhaps minor complication:wink:

I told you it was useless and something you didn't need to know :coffee:

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom