Quiz - 22 - Diving Knowledge Workbook - Diving Physiology

The primary factors that increase the diver's susceptibility to decompression sickness relate primar

• a. tissue half-times

• b. physical conditioning

• c. changes to respiration

• d. changes to circulation

Results are only viewable after voting.

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Since these questions apparently are from a PADI course workbook, I suspect that if you had the workbook, the material presented before the questions would tell you what the correct answer should be. Since many of us do not have the workbook, we are trying to match our working knowledge base gained from whatever PADI course(s) we have taken, or SB threads/posts, against the workbook answer without having read the PADI course material. Personally, I don't care if I choose the wrong answer because ultimately I have learned something.

I went with B simply because I thought the question was asking about variations in susceptibility to DCS among the diving population. Physical conditioning seemed most likely of the available answers to a) address that kind of variation, and b) have been studied as an independent variable.

We shall see.

If I got it right, I will readily give credit to my test taking gamesmanship, not to relevant knowledge.

If I got it wrong, so what? I already admitted I don't know, so additional public confirmation of my ignorance won't matter.

Since these questions apparently are from a PADI course workbook, I suspect that if you had the workbook, the material presented before the questions would tell you what the correct answer should be. Since many of us do not have the workbook, we are trying to match our working knowledge base gained from whatever PADI course(s) we have taken, or SB threads/posts, against the workbook answer without having read the PADI course material. Personally, I don't care if I choose the wrong answer because ultimately I have learned something.
Exactly. I agree with Diving D about some PADI questions (but found the same with the SSI Science of Diving course, so I guess it's not specific to PADI). Dive theory, physiology, etc. doesn't seem to change much over many years. An exception may be computer questions in addition to or instead of the table ones I had to do. It would seem not too difficult to proof read questions on said tests. I don't think the agencies purposely try to trick you, or make you think a lot about what the question really means. As opposed to this:
In 9th grade (1969) the test question was True or False: "Israel is the most unifying factor in the Mideast". I got it correct--True. Because it united a lot of Arab countries against it. My buddy said False, because Israel was at odds with neighbours. The teacher even said this was a trick question.
The important thing was that we both learned of the Mideast situation.

d. changes to circulation

Two factors affect gas absorption - the density of the tissues and the blood flow. We can help control only one of these - the amount of blood flow (circulation) getting to the tissues. In reviewing the various susceptibility factors, notice how most involved (to some degree) circulation: 1) decreased circulation with age; 2) increased circulation from exercise; 3) changes in circulation during alcohol consumption and 4) recent illness/injury. The only factor that takes tissue density is consideration is obesity. And it is unclear as to what effect this really has upon recreational divers.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom