Quiz - 22 - Diving Knowledge Workbook - Diving Physiology

The primary factors that increase the diver's susceptibility to decompression sickness relate primar

• a. tissue half-times

• b. physical conditioning

• c. changes to respiration

• d. changes to circulation

Results are only viewable after voting.

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Pedro Burrito

Staff member
ScubaBoard Supporter
Scuba Instructor
Divemaster
Reaction score
# of dives
5000 - ∞
From the Diving Physiology Section of the PADI Diving Knowledge Workbook Version 2.02 © PADI 2009:

Objective 2.7 - Explain the physiological mechanism of decompression sickness (DCS), and list the common susceptibility factors that can contribute to its occurrence.

Question 4

The primary factors that increase the diver's susceptibility to decompression sickness relate primarily to:

a. tissue half-times

b. physical conditioning

c. changes to respiration

d. changes to circulation

I will post a daily question from my exams to help newer divers and to encourage more experienced divers to interact gracefully and helpfully with the newer divers.

Reminder - this is a post in the Basic Forum and it is a green zone. Please be nice and on topic.

Thank you for your patience while we try to give people something to discuss other than Covid-19 and/or Politics. I will post the answer covered by the spoiler tag later today.

I THINK I got it right. I'l bet this question will garner some discussion. It reads "primary factorS" That in itself may imply that you should be checking more than one answer.
I'm not a fan of the wording of this question. Perhaps any one of them can affect whether you get DCS. "Primary"? That means the most likely one to affect it?

I wish I could had an option to chose two answers on this one. Not sure how they decide with one is “more” primary. I agree, I am not a big fan of the wording in this question.

Definitely a couple right answers here. Although, I think you could make the argument that physical conditioning (with respect to its effect on dcs susceptibility) falls within the scope of changes to circulation. That's really what it's about. Gas transport.

What else could it mean?
OK I see what you mean. I know I can be really picky on wording--I could say: "I was hungover and shouldn't have done the dive. That's the primary reason (first reason possibly = primary reason) I got DCS. But, I did the dive and stayed down too long at 100' (skipped deco), and got DCS". The latter is the most important reason I got DCS, but could also be termed the primary reason.
To eliminate that, the question could say "Of these 4, what is the most important factor regarding DCS". Very picky, I know.

I re-reading the question, I imagine saying factorS plural could be referring to each answer (except for b.) being a plural answer. Like announcers saying" Chicago brings the ball upcourt vs. Chicago bring the ball upcourt (because Chicago is plural being a team sport).

Either way, I'm not a fan of trying to figure out exactly what the question means.

What else could it mean?
The fact that there will be debate on the semantics, proves it's a poorly constructed question

It is possible to have multiple primary causes over secondary. However the answers allow for only one, thus factor should as a singular not a plural

You're supposed to be testing knowledge not interpretation of the question intent

LOL. It is a LOT easier to answer these questions if you don't overthink them and seek every possible interpretation and nuance.

LOL. It is a LOT easier to answer these questions if you don't overthink them and seek every possible interpretation and nuance.
Yes, I do agree 100% with that... Read the manual, repeat back what it told you. Not being sarcastic, I really like that. You know what answer they want, so don't overthink it (unless you really have nothing better to do that type stuff like this on ScubaBoard...).

My comments are based upon the fact I’ve technical written exams for National and international use. Your supposed to test the candidates which is achieved with some either or answers not try to confuse them with question wording

There are numerous PADI questions that clearly haven’t been through QC

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom