Quiz - 2 - Diving Knowledge Workbook - Diving Physics

Divers are most affected by what form of heat transmission?

• a. Conduction

• b. Convection

• c. Radiation

• d. All the above are equally important

Results are only viewable after voting.

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Pedro Burrito

Staff member
ScubaBoard Supporter
Scuba Instructor
Divemaster
Reaction score
# of dives
5000 - ∞
From the Diving Physics Section of the PADI Diving Knowledge Workbook Version 2.02 © PADI 2009:

1.1 Question 2

Divers are most affected by what form of heat transmission?

a. Conduction

b. Convection

c. Radiation

d. All the above are equally important

I will post a daily question from my exams to help newer divers and to encourage more experienced divers to interact gracefully and helpfully with the newer divers.

Reminder - this is a post in the Basic Forum and it is a green zone. Please be nice and on topic.

Thank you for your patience while we try to give people something to discuss other than Covid-19 and/or Politics. I will post the answer covered by the spoiler tag later today.

I’m assuming the “correct” answer applies to people whilst in the act of diving, not before or afterwards, as in DAN diving accident insurance definitions.

I’m assuming the “correct” answer applies to people whilst in the act of diving, not before or afterwards, as in DAN diving accident insurance definitions.

Before and after is exactly why I picked D. Depends on a number of factors.

DW

I don’t know about radiation, but conduction and convection are big factors when it comes to heat loss... do we lose a lot of heat via radiation???

do we lose a lot of heat via radiation???
During normal conditions, we lose about 65% of our heat from radiation. If you're sitting out in direct sunlight, overheating, you're absorbing heat due to radiation.

Underwater, conduction is king.

During normal conditions, we lose about 65% of our heat from radiation. If you're sitting out in direct sunlight, overheating, you're absorbing heat due to radiation.

Underwater, conduction is king.
But all equally important??? If conduction is a king, convection should at the very least be a queen... how about that poorly fitted wetsuit? :wink:

Of course without the sun we would all freeze over-therefore the correct answer has to be...j/k

There isn't much fluid flow going on inside a wet suit... well, except for every once in a
Of course without the sun we would all freeze over-therefore the correct answer has to be...j/k
way to think globally! The way you put it, radiation is definitely disproportionally more important

I knew how most heat is lost while diving but was unsure of the word for it. (educated) Guessed correctly.
Another easy question. Of course they're talking about when you're diving-- for Pete's sake.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom