Quit day job to be instructor?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

eth727

Reaction score
# of dives
50 - 99
Is there anyone out there especially in CA that soley works as an instructor. Most of the instructors that I know have a regular job and does instructing on the side. I was wondering if I can quit my day job and just instruct. What do you guys think?

Add up the number of students you'll need to certify in order to meet your financial obligations, save for emergencies, save for retirement, pay for medical insurance, etc. If you think you can get that many, go for it. Otherwise, keep your day job.

Max
DSAT 198186

Few instructors are able to make it full time.

There are many of us that do make it full time. Talk to some of the local shops and see if they are hiring and at what rate. Look at maybe opening a small shop of your own or moving to a location that would support a career change. Did that 15 years ago and I have not looked back since.

There are instructors that work for big sports retailers like Sports Chalet and some that work full time as scuba instructors. Or you have to own your own shop and then you become a small business owner who happens to provide scuba instruction.

The only way to maximize your income based on your willingness to work hard is to own your own business. You get the most write offs and you get to decide how much of teh money coming in is profit and where it goes.

I was wondering if I can quit my day job and just instruct. What do you guys think?

Q: What's the difference between a scuba instructor and a large pizza?

+page%208%20sports%20John%20McCraw%20Scuba%20Instuctor.jpg

W500_983_p1010226.jpg

A: A large pizza can feed a family of four!

:shocked2:

I'd Love to tell you its possible, but as mentioned earlier, you would need to figure out your cost of living, how much or how little money you can live with, and inevitably, whether you were willing to make the sacrifices to "Live the Life".

I have seen a few take the risk and open up a shop of their own on some beach, somewhere. But a vast majority live in the ocean communities around the states and with cost of living and whatever other expenses you might have, teaching solely really isn't an option for most of us. I tried and quickly realized I couldn't live on what I earned solely from teaching.

Another problem to consider is how to continually bring in students...most dive shops have walk-ins, but they are split between the various instructors hurting for money. Some months people just aren't interested in getting into the water...especially if its cold outside...so you'll definately have slow times where money isn't coming in.

Teaching on your own also causes a problem as you will need to make arrangements for a pool to teach from. Most of us don't have a pool readily available and if you have a community pool from your condo complex or apt complex...they don't tend to like scuba in their pools for fear of damage.

One last thing to consider is I was teaching just about every day for a few months in a row at one point and I was just tired of getting into the water. Even Diving can be a bare if in excess.

I hope you the best and go after your dream if you can make it happen. I wish you the best. In the meantime, I'll stick to teaching part time when I retire. :)

Back
Top Bottom