Quiet (ish) areas on Koh Tao

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Reaction score
# of dives
Hi all,

Looking for a dive shop on Koh Tao that would be a good place to start learning to dive. I'm getting on a bit ( mid 30's) and although I don't have any problems mixing with the younger crowd would prefer a shop and area of the island that's a little more laid back and attracts an older crowd ( if that's possible) but still has a couple of good bars, some amenities near by, choice of monthly lettings as would be looking to hang around for a few of months at least.

Also looking in to the divemaster internship option. Although I have no plans or intention to become a full time pro it just looks like the training packages of inclusive dives, courses and instruction makes them value for money. Plus like I said I want to be there for a while and seeing as though I'll be on my own hopefully that type of course would occupy most of my time. Is this the wrong option to take?

Any recommendations of areas and dive shops on Koh Tao ( or through out SEAsia for that matter) that you might think would suit my tastes would be greatly received.

Cheers in advance

....( or through out SEAsia for that matter)...

Next month (October) is the beginning of the "high" season on Thailand's Andaman Sea (west) coast. Although I'm sure you'll enjoy doing your courses on Koh Tao you may want to think about doing your courses in Krabi, Phuket, Koh Lanta, Phi-Phi or Khao Lak. The diving on the West Coast is some of the best Thailand has to offer and there's plenty of places with the kinda crowd you're looking for...

He's right. If you're coming soon, be prepared for miserable weather on Tao starting in the next 4 to 6 weeks.

If you do decide to come to Tao (then or after the rain stops), I would suggest living in Chalook (the south end of the island) and looking at the shops down there.

Wow that didnt take long for the west coast hi jack..I guess you guys are all back from holiday.

As for Mid life questions.

Have you considered an alternative to DM or Dive con (pro level) You can get equally good value without having a qualification at the end you feel you wont use.

Most schools can put together a package of diving and specialties that you will learn from and you can take your time about.All agencies have this rating at some level with SSI you can combine them.

Alternatively How about entry level Tek diving , combination of environmental courses or an U/W video course.

As for Tao the weather is usually pretty bad end of October thru November but then again who knows the way weather patterns have been this last few years.

Accommodation where to stay ? come over drive about and choose yourself would be my advice, just find a room for the first few days and go from there.

Thanks for info/ advice so far,

Should have added that I don't intend to travel till early new year so the weather, wherever I decide to go will hopefully be okay.

Have to admit the alternatives ( tec, enviromental, specialties, etc..) instead of taking pro level certs, seem a more realistic way of going about it given my current dive knowledge.

Thanks once again to all

Hi MidlifeCrash

Chalok in the south is quieter for you.
New Heaven Divers (Chalok) and Crystal Divers / Eco Koh Tao (Mae Haad) will do specialities on reef ecology and reef check.

Video training is also available. You need to have a rescue diver cert and 50 dives for most shops. I trained at Oceans Below & recommend them as they are well organized and I benefited a great deal from the training. There are several places to train and I can send you my input in a PM if you are interested.

There are a few places doing tech-diving but I don't have any experience with them in order to comment.

Getting a DM is also good for your diving. I would recommend it even if you never plan to work as a divemaster.

Good luck!
Tom

Thanks again all for your advice,

Also found some decent looking outfits on the west coast. And thanks Tom, Chalok looks like it can offer the kind of feel I'm after and I'm researching researching suitable shops I can find in that area.

Bit worried about this east coast / west coast battle thats ongoing. would hate to get caught in a "dive by" or have someone "pop a reg in my ***".

Regards

MLC

Bit worried about this east coast / west coast battle thats ongoing. would hate to get caught in a "dive by" or have someone "pop a reg in my ***".

Regards

MLC

Wait till the Pattaya divers join in the battle. You seen nothing yet.:wink:

Back
Top Bottom