Trip Report Quick Trip Report July 13-20 Blue Angel

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Tunaman68

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
500 - 999
Just back from an awesome week at Blue Angel. Got room 103 again which is really beginning to be a home away from home. At this point I've spent about 3 months of my life in that room total and BA continues to be a great place for me to stay and dive. As always we met old friends, dove with the great BA crew who also have become friends and met new dive buddies who made this week even better with their commoradorie and love of diving.

I went with my dive buddy and we had a hot and sticky week with more mosquitos than I've encountered in other months of the year. The water was consistently reading 84 degrees and ocean conditions were beautiful with flat seas and very very mild currents with a few exceptions. The bleaching event of last October has seemingly recovered and I thought the reefs looked very healthy overall. Beryl has left a few trees down but generally you'd have no idea that anything had happened recently. Although the weather has caused chaos and cancelled dives for tons of people over the last year, we hit a week that was near perfection as far as dive conditions are concerned. Sites included Santa Rosa, San Clemente, Delilah, Yucab, Tormentos, C53, Palancar caves bricks and gardens, Columbia Deep and Maracaibo.

I did two shore dives at the Blue Angel and after not having done anything but a night dive there in several trips I'm reminded what a nice little dive it is and certainly a feature of the hotel and dive shop.

We did 18 tanks via boat and were able to hit sites from the far south all the way to Villa Blanca. Santa Rosa has been closed the lasts few visits so that was a nice return and a site I've loved for many many years. We saw lots of turtles, stingray, nurse shark, and tons and tons of juvenile fish ranging from almost too small to see up to large clouds of blue chromis hovering over the reefs. Night dives were lobster and octopus heaven and I found myself not filming them because my memory card was full up with clips of them by the 3rd night dive.

We only came across one green moray but had the usual assortment of spotted and other types. Also sighted was a single eagle ray at Columbia deep as well as a flyby from a giant loggerhead although the DM said it was not Charlie.

We ate a LOT of tacos and spent several meals at Noventa y Tres across from the Blue Angel where the owner Laura, her son and the crew put out some scratch made deliciousness that is also priced very well. It can take a moment to get your order but they are cooking from scratch and so it's worth it for us. We also ate at El Pique and Tacos Diaz and supplemented with meals here and there at the hotel restaurant.

Taxi prices to the places on 30th ranged from $150 pesos to $250 depending on direction and time of day. I never argue but will generally tip if I feel like it's the 'normal' price and pay the requested ammt if it seems padded.

We will keep returning to Cozumel and the Blue Angel since they continue to provide us an awesome experience.

GPTempDownload 3.jpg
GPTempDownload 2.jpg
IMG_1270.PNG
GPTempDownload.jpg

I'm glad you had a good time in "our" hotel; we were in 101, 102, and 104 June 18 - July 2. I'm jealous of the weather you had; there were THREE tropical weather events during our stay that closed the port for a total of three or four days, it rained almost every day (I'm sure all that rain contributed to the mosquito density you experienced), and due to strong SE winds all the reefs from Palancar southward were closed for half our dive days. Paradise was closed as well on the monthly rotation, and no one was diving Chankanaab because of all the freshwater runoff there.

In spite of all that we managed to have a great time, anyway. :D

When diving with the Blue Angel dive shop, are the boats mostly divers staying at the hotel, or is it common to pick up divers from other hotels?

When diving with the Blue Angel dive shop, are the boats mostly divers staying at the hotel, or is it common to pick up divers from other hotels?
When I have been diving with them, most divers on BA's boats have been staying at the hotel, but they occasionally have picked up a diver or two from another pier.

When I have been diving with them, most divers on BA's boats have been staying at the hotel, but they occasionally have picked up a diver or two from another pier.
Maybe they offer this already, but if I was staying and diving with them, I'd be talking to people staying there and diving about interest in a 1 tank afternoon dive at Villa Blanca, like, that nice 50-60 foot range. Little lunch at the restaurant. Nice long SI. Close. Perfect.

Maybe they offer this already, but if I was staying and diving with them, I'd be talking to people staying there and diving about interest in a 1 tank afternoon dive at Villa Blanca, like, that nice 50-60 foot range. Little lunch at the restaurant. Nice long SI. Close. Perfect.
Afternoon boat dives at BA require either 3 or 4 divers and I'm pretty sure they want you to set it up the day before.

Afternoon boat dives at BA require either 3 or 4 divers and I'm pretty sure they want you to set it up the day before.
Right. It would require some negotiation. If they don't have a single tank, or 3 tank day price, that would have to be worked out, but at the least it's a better possibility in that the dive shop and hotel are basically in one.

One of the ways I've been diving with just a divemaster, or the dm and one other diver is that I/we've been fine with not going far south, for instance, staying north of San Fransisco for 2 dives. I have no problem with that. Las Palmas and Paradise for two afternoon tanks? Etc.? Fine by me.

I would think they could come up with a reasonable price to do a single tank, afternoon, non-big boat dive if part of the deal was staying close to the marina. They save on gas, the divers have a short boat ride out and back.

Right. It would require some negotiation. If they don't have a single tank, or 3 tank day price, that would have to be worked out, but at the least it's a better possibility in that the dive shop and hotel are basically in one.

One of the ways I've been diving with just a divemaster, or the dm and one other diver is that I/we've been fine with not going far south, for instance, staying north of San Fransisco for 2 dives. I have no problem with that. Las Palmas and Paradise for two afternoon tanks? Etc.? Fine by me.

I would think they could come up with a reasonable price to do a single tank, afternoon, non-big boat dive if part of the deal was staying close to the marina. They save on gas, the divers have a short boat ride out and back.
They are very accommodating and try and arrange whatever works within reason if you have 4 divers interested in a trip. If you are on a package with X number of nights and X number of two day trips with breakfast you 'use' those dives first. For afternoon and night dives they will have a per tank price for any dives over your base amount. I've done two tank afternoon, one tank night, twilight night two tanks and one afternoon tank with them depending on who was interested in what. They will put it up on a board next do the dive shop "one tank afternoon" and put names on it to see who is interested. At the dive shop there is a combo of people diving from the shore, diving while doing classes, diving while staying at the hotel (most) and least often is picking up other divers at other piers but it does happen from time to time.

Just reach out to the hotel and they will put you in touch with the dive shop and give you some prices.

Back
Top Bottom