Quick Trip Report from Kona & Kohala

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Jefe1014

New
Reaction score
# of dives
0 - 24
My wife and I just got back from our honeymoon on the Big Island. We are very new divers (<20) and wanted to take the opportunity while in HI to log dives and practice skills. After doing some research online here at Scubaboard and other sites, we decided to contact Steve at Wanna Dive. We went out for 2 days of 2 tank dives, and also did the Manta Ray night dive. We had an amazing experience. Loved diving with Steve and his crew from Wanna Dive. We lucked out and ended up with essentially a private dive charter our first day, and then only one other diver joined us for the second day. We had one other couple with us on the night dive. I highly recommend Wanna Dive if you are looking to dive in the Kona area. They took they're time with us (being pretty new) and were incredibly enthusiastic and knowledgeable about diving in the area (which was great for my wife who is fast becoming an underwater NatGeoNerd). Toward the end of our trip on the island, we by chance happened to walk into another small dive shop in the Kohala resort area, Blue Wilderness, Blue Wilderness Dive Corp, and got to chatting with one of the divemasters, Cynthia. We decided to do an impromptu extra day of diving with them, as Cynthia mentioned that the reef environment in the Kohala area was somewhat different from Kona. Also had a great time! Cynthia was a pleasure to dive with. The current was a little stronger than we were expecting after Kona, but it was a great opportunity for us as newer divers to work through different diving environments. Had some killer fish tacos out of a food truck by the harbor for lunch afterwards. I also highly recommend Blue Wilderness if you're diving the Kohala area. If anyone would like more info regarding our dives, I would be happy to grab the log books and recount some more details.

Happy Diving!

-Jorge.

Thanks for sharing your experience. I'm also a newbie diver and am currently planning a trip to Kona later this year.

Back
Top Bottom