Quick tips for checking a used dive computer

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

neevo

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
500 - 999
My old Suunto Cobra stopped measuring the depth on my last holiday and has effectively become a fancy SPG. With that in mind I bit the bullet and purchased a used Suunto Vyper Air off the auction site and I'm looking for ways to make sure it all works when it gets here without having to resort to taking it on a dive.

Given it's a wrist mount I was thinking of taking it to the local pool to see if I could take it underwater and make sure the pressure gauge worked.

Also I have an air compressor at home that I could also rig up a system to check the AI sender.

Or is it just easier to take it for a proper dive instead?

rope, weight and a river?

An easy way to test it is to find a dock and give it a dunk on the end of a rope. You can then compare the depth of the dive with the length of your rope to verify the depth sensor is working properly.

You could also make a simple pressure chamber - I used a house water filter chamber from Home Depot and added a tire valve so I can pump it up with a hand pump.

If you want to check the AI transmitter just go to your LDS and rent a tank for a few minutes. Quick and simple.

Do you have a shop near you that services computers? They should have a tank to pressure test computers in and do a simulated dive.

rope, weight and a river?

An easy way to test it is to find a dock and give it a dunk on the end of a rope. You can then compare the depth of the dive with the length of your rope to verify the depth sensor is working properly.

You could also make a simple pressure chamber - I used a house water filter chamber from Home Depot and added a tire valve so I can pump it up with a hand pump.

If you want to check the AI transmitter just go to your LDS and rent a tank for a few minutes. Quick and simple.
DIY dive computer pressure test chamber. Under $80

Thanks all. Looks like finding a local Suunto service centre would be best as they can check it all.

Then a pool swim and finding a tank to connect it to is the next easiest solution.

If that's not an option I think a dive or makeshift pressure chamber would work (but that's a lot and cheaper/easier to find a service centre I reckon).

Suunto service centre has been found (First Stage in Sydney). $45 for a safety check on the computer which is great in my books. At least that way I will have the professionals do the proper test on it for my auction feedback (just in case any problems arise) and also so I'm confident it's safe to dive before I do.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom