Quick St Croix Pier Observations

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Took some friends snorkeling at the Pier yesterday. The amount of sea life has increased. Lots of schools of everything you can imagine plus several Turtles and Rays.

the squid schools are still there and this time I had a camera with me. they are not great but....

Squid School II.jpg
Squid School.jpg

Nice TN, that’s some serious squiddage! They are cool to see and sometimes seem as curious about divers as we are about them.

TN, please arrange for them to hang around until next Wednesday. Thanks!

Sorry - gonna pack them in my suitcase and take them back to TN with me on Thursday. Put them in my swimming pool so I can have something to swim with. :p:p

Seriously, they have been there since January - sometimes the numbers are large, sometimes there are only a few - but you need to check out all along the rocks from the Pier to the exit - they move around.

The number of Turtles is increasing.
PICT0014PS.jpg

We’re going to dive and snorkel it a few times. Your observations have been a good warmup. How far out were you going?

thanks for the report on the wildlife

Don’t forget to night dive too, lots of octopus and basically everything on the fish chart when I went years ago, (6 months after a hurricane severely damaged everything on the island.)

The Turtles (and rays) are hanging out around the far dolphin. The squid are along the rocks. All are an easy swim from shore. And there is an abundance of sea life both along the rocks and at the dolphin - schools of juveniles of all types.

If you can - a night dive at the Pier is a great experience - octopus galore and more.

A quick update:

The squid are gone - replaced by huge schools of minnows/threadrin shad all along the rocks. They are so dense you often cannot see the bottom 12 feet below.

Turtles are still abundant (and friendly) and the variety of sea life has increased - angel fish, eagle rays, large parrot fish are hanging out in the area.
Eagle Ray.jpg
Minnows.jpg
Turttle at Surface.jpg

We saw this squad in mid-April--they must've grown up and moved on.

i-hmQGbVj

Squad-X3.jpg

Squid%20squad-X3.jpg

i-hmQGbVj

Also, this blurry band of tiny drummers . . .

Tiny%20Drums%204-X3.jpg

i-vs9GHR4

The Pier is all it's cracked up to be; we did five dives and a snorkel there.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom